Author Topic: Mk 8 GTE for 1 wk  (Read 4373 times)

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
Mk 8 GTE for 1 wk
« on: 03 November 2020, 15:41 »
So on Thurs I will have the (dubious pleasure?) of a 70 plate Mk 8 Golf GTE on 7 day trial (car has the 18" optional rims and winter pack).

As a Mk 8 sceptic (I love my Mk 7.5 GTI PP DSG) I'm interested at least to see whether 7 days with the Mk 8 wins me round to the new tech or just highlights the cost cutting/perceived drop off in quality (in my eyes).

If anyone has any queries/things they'd like me to test/check whilst I have it, let me know.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 GTE for 1 wk
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2020, 16:04 »
Please get some pics for the benefit of the forum  :wink:

There has been lots of stick given to the Mk8 for the new interior layout so it would be interesting to see how intuitive (or not) it actually is or if it's journo's making a mountain out of a molehill.

245ps is a match for the GTi at road legal speeds (on paper at least) although the GTE has a supposedly more laid back character. Your thoughts on this, and what mpg is actually achievable. 👍
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2020, 16:08 »
Does the GTE have the matrix lights?

If it does, i'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

Also curious to know if the seats are comfy - my initial sit the in GTE in the showroom didn't suggest they were.

Is voice control any better - don't know if you have it on your Mk7.5. Try it.

Try wireless AA/ACP - does it work? Can you connect a second phone if you use it? (can't in a Mk7)

Enjoy your Mk8 experience!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2020, 16:10 »
The GTE does have matrix lights as standard, but voice control is only available on cars with Nav Pro.
7.5 GTD

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2020, 17:06 »
GTE is something I 'might' consider. I'm wary of plug ins as I may not be always be able to charge it up. How does it drive without any charge? Performance/economy on the engine only? (assuming you are able to do that) - appreciate you may not want to try that in your test week.

Ride quality?

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2020, 01:58 »
The big one for me is the usability of the HVAC controls and settings such as stop/start whilst driving.  Similarly, ease of adjusting the DCC on the fly (if fitted).  From the perspective of someone who adjusts these setting regularly on most trips.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2020, 21:17 »
OK real big thing i have to find out if you can help... Can you change the colour of the aid? On a gte I guess it's blue, but can you make it white? Would appreciate the answer.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2020, 08:07 »
OK real big thing i have to find out if you can help... Can you change the colour of the aid? On a gte I guess it's blue, but can you make it white? Would appreciate the answer.

You can change it to any colour you want,including white....will get a picture later.

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2020, 09:48 »
GTE is arriving at midday today so will make a note of all the queries so far and report back idc.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2020, 11:00 »
Thanks both of you for the replies!