Author Topic: Machine Polishing  (Read 1887 times)

Offline PaulMK4GTI

• Not said much yet
Machine Polishing
« on: 01 August 2008, 22:58 »
Evenin' all, i'm thinking about getting a Meguiars G220 Polisher as recommended by a few of you guys. My car has some light swirl marks and a few scratches and i think it would benefit from a machine polish.

I don't know much about... i'll re-phrase that... i know nothing about bodywork so i'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question but about a year ago i had a dent on the edge of the drivers door repaired and the door was resprayed, do i need to be careful when machine polishing this area? I guess what i'm worried about is revealing where the new paint is blended into the original, if that makes sense?

Cheers,
Paul.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: Machine Polishing
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2008, 01:53 »
no it should be fine as it was done a year ago so the paint will be well and truly hard now :wink:
if you've never used a machine polisher before i would highly recommend you get a pro or someone with some degree of experience of using one to show you how as damage to your paint is imminent if used incorrectly and the wrong grade of compound used also.
when i was training to be a detailer 14yrs ago i was using g3 compound paiste on a fiesta bonnet and pushed too hard and took the paint straight off the car(the boss was not happy :angry: ).
that was a long time ago tho :grin:
ive come a long way since then!!!!!!
this is some examples of my latest jobs :wink:
befores on my mates jetta gti 16v

:smiley:
« Last Edit: 03 August 2008, 00:53 by dubplate Dan »
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2008, 10:28 »
Go down a scrappy and get the cheapest bonnet you can, and then practice on it until you can dare do it on your own car.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2008, 11:35 »
i'd echo what the guys have said

I think you'd have to be going some to get it wrong using the megs 220... it's dual action so less risk than a rotary.  it really is a piece of cake to use and as long as you use common sense it will be cool.

re your paint depth... might be worth hooking up with a 'pro' to get them to instruct you and they can also take paint depth measurements for you so you can see where to go easy... if most of it is factory paint then you should be ok as it will be very even.

practicing on an old panel from a scrappy is a good idea too... means you can get comfortable with the action of the polisher and the pad and polish combination

dan - have you got some before and afters or some 50/50's?

Offline PaulMK4GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2008, 14:45 »
Cheers for the advice lads. I think in this instance you're right and a trip to a 'pro' is probably the right way to go, at the very least to get the paint depth checked out. Does anybody know of any good ones in the Manchester area?

I would like to get into the detailing thing though and i'm relatively intelligent :grin: so i reckon i'd be ok. I think a trip to the scrappers would be wise though!

Dan - nice examples, that's exactly how i want mine to look!

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2008, 19:26 »
as long as you read up and be careful you should be ok doing it yourself, there quite forgiving machines, but you can still do damage with them so you should be cautious

heres what i did on a 15 year old g60

from this

to this