Author Topic: Tyre Problems -  (Read 2284 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Tyre Problems -
« on: 20 March 2011, 23:24 »
Hi Guys

I know that tyres have seen some enthusiastic debate on the forum and I thought I'd post this here in case it's of any use to anyone.

I had the misfortune of losing my back passenger wheel twice to debris in the road (a screw and then a sheared nail). The first time, the screw ran into the very edge of the tyre, almost into the wall and it was deemed unsafe to repair. The second time, the nail went into the centre of the tyre but on looking to remedy the problem, the internals of the tyre had literally unravelled and the rubber fragmented. I must have driven 200-400 yards before I could pull in but the tyre was not recoverable. Considering I won't even drive over a plastic bag in the road, it was just damn bad luck that cost me several hundred in repairs.

So, I wrote to Michelin and this is the response I got:

"The repairabilty of any tyre depends upon various factors such as the diameter of the hole, the angle of penetration and possible run flat damage.
A tyre that has been run underinflated or flat may have suffered irreparable damage to the internal structure.
Also, in many instances, a penetration could have happened some considerable time earlier without the driver being aware resulting in a gradual loss of pressure. If the tyre sidewall is damaged, then unfortunately the tyre is irrepairable.

Should you wish, you can send the tyre back to us for a second opinion on its repairablity by following our complaints procedure detailed below:

The BTMA (British Tyre Manufacturers Association) have put in place within the UK, a system to allow products to be returned free of charge to the manufacturer. The aim of this system is to ensure that problems are addressed & customers compensated, where applicable.

Your tyre needs to be returned, under complaint, to a tyre distributor of your choice. Returning the tyre via the distributor/garage that originally supplied or replaced them may prove to be the most effective.

Your details should be noted, i.e. Name/address, along with a description of the perceived fault/problem. The tyre, along with the noted details, will be sent to the tyre manufacturer where the tyre will be examined and a report on each tyre involved will be produced. You will receive a copy of each report along with compensation, where applicable. Comment can only be made on the actual tyre received for examination.

The process is listed as taking 28 days, but usually takes 2 weeks. It is advisable to obtain a receipt for the tyre left with the distributor, as proof of responsibility should your property be mislaid.

May I suggest, that if you have not received a written response from Michelin within 28 days from the date of leaving the tyre with a tyre distributor, that you contact us directly on 0845 3661590.

Should you require any further assistance please contact us on 0845 366 1590 (UK & NI) or 0044 (0) 1782 401590 (ROI), quoting the reference number above.
"

So, if anyone has a problem with a tyre, take note of the above as I wasn't aware of the procedures nor was the garage so missed my opportunity to have the manufacturer assess whether there was an issue with the quality of the tyre. With only pictures as evidence, it makes it much harder to achieve any sort of satisfactory resolution.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Alex

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Re: Tyre Problems -
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2011, 23:45 »
Nice bit of information there Alex, thank you.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2011, 07:49 »
I bet they still wrigle out of it ??? Be intresting to see if they take responsilibty ?? :cool:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2011, 09:46 »
Sorry to hear this. Do you think it is deliberate or is there lots of building work where you live?
I had a similar problem 4 years ago due to builders everywhere on my street.
Great information anyway.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2011, 10:16 »
I deal with tyre companies for warranty issues and they do not cover or help much.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2011, 12:58 »
Alex: Does your car have Michelin Pilot Sport PA3 tyres?

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2011, 16:22 »
Winters are coming off on Wednesday to be replaced with my original Bridges, can't afford any new rubber just now.

Hope this truly is the start of Spring and better weather.  :huh:

Gizzy
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2011, 19:38 »
Amanda: I love it when you talk rubber. :grin:

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2011, 22:09 »
Alex: Does your car have Michelin Pilot Sport PA3 tyres?

It will have had when I come to putting the new BBS's on.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2011, 23:47 »
Amanda: I love it when you talk rubber. :grin:

Umm yummy rubber rubber rubber  :grin:
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.