Author Topic: Rubber Mats - Recommendations  (Read 10545 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Rubber Mats - Recommendations
« on: 20 March 2011, 22:05 »
Hey Guys

I was wondering if anyone else has rubber mats in their GTI? After 6000 miles, I've almost worn a hole through the middle of the mat and I'm looking at replacement options.

Found these on ebay which look to be what I have now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-VW-Golf-Mk6-Front-Rubber-Mats-NEW-Stud-fit-_W0QQitemZ170602064887QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=219478756008&rvr_id=219478756008&cguid=d551a86012e0a47a26b34cd3ffd2d8a4

Seems I have to buy them in pairs which means I'm going to end up with a surplus of passenger mats over the next few years as the passenger side is showing no signs of wear and tear. Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative that is slightly more durable and that I can buy as driver side only?

Thanks

A
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Rubber Mats - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2011, 22:08 »
How olds your mat, Have you tried claiming with VW as its under warrenty for a year and should last longer than 6000 miles. Mines done 2700 so far but i have not noticed much ware if any.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2011, 22:17 »
How olds your mat, Have you tried claiming with VW as its under warrenty for a year and should last longer than 6000 miles. Mines done 2700 so far but i have not noticed much ware if any.

Yeah, that's a good point Snoops. I hadn't thought of bothering the dealer and I'm just under a year now. I'm just going to fire off that email now so it's on record.  :smiley:

In my travels, I see that there are GTI specific mats on offer in the US which are rather nice versus the UK variant which are just 'Golf' branded. It looks like the area underneath the pedal is a denser pad of rubber to reduce wear.

Golf GTI Mat (think these are on a MkV)
http://dataton.net/vw/floor_mats/monster_mat-drivers_side-at_67k_mi.jpg

Golf GTI Mat (standard issue on the MkVI)
http://www.my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/acc_cp_rubber_floor_mats_front_1k2061501041.jpg

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2011, 22:23 »
Just checked the accessory catalogue
It says the matt is classed as a 'genuine Assessory'
Then on the back for 'Genuine accessory' it basically says if fitted at PDI ie delivery by dealer its covered for 3 years. If fitted after this its covered for 2 years.

Mine still looks like it did when i took this photo a few months back.

« Last Edit: 20 March 2011, 22:30 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2011, 22:53 »
Just checked the accessory catalogue
It says the matt is classed as a 'genuine Assessory'
Then on the back for 'Genuine accessory' it basically says if fitted at PDI ie delivery by dealer its covered for 3 years. If fitted after this its covered for 2 years.

Mine still looks like it did when i took this photo a few months back.

Yea thats becuase you never use the Mk6  :grin: :grin:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2011, 22:58 »
I've got the same ones as Snoopy and no real sign of any wear as yet, although i have seen a picture of the GTI ones and they look really smart, they've got the hex pattern in them like the radiator grill. :cool:

EDIT: found a pic, just a shame they're LHD really. :cry:
« Last Edit: 20 March 2011, 23:07 by Jimble »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2011, 12:00 »
Yea thats becuase you never use the Mk6  :grin: :grin:
  :tongue: Something to do with some stuff called snow  :tongue: We get that white stuff in large amounts outside the M25 boarder. :wink:  :grin:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2011, 12:54 »
Alex: I used to have rubber mats in my previous cars. Apart from looking awful, the driver's mat wore out after 5k miles. Get some aesthetically pleasing carpet mats  instead. You drive a GTI in relatively civilised London away from mucky country pursuits. :smiley:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2011, 22:12 »
Alex: I used to have rubber mats in my previous cars. Apart from looking awful, the driver's mat wore out after 5k miles. Get some aesthetically pleasing carpet mats  instead. You drive a GTI in relatively civilised London away from mucky country pursuits. :smiley:

Always prefer rubber mats. I keep them clean so they don't look like a cat litter tray. Carpet mats never appealed to me and you'd never convince me otherwise. Dunno about civilised London, you should see Shoreditch on a Sunday morning after the hipsters and townies have had at it.  :huh: