Author Topic: Panel Beater Recommendations (who have experience with MKVI Golf GTI's)  (Read 6451 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
He's got a great sense of humour and is the perfect gentleman. He drives Ewan McGregor's BMW bike that was in that road trip TV series. Tell Martin you know me. We had good dealings together. Say Hi!
Alex: Just left him a message on your behalf. :smiley:

Cool, thanks for that Asker.

I've been harping on about the scaffolders but the MD rang me up today and was actually very reasonable and it wasn't because I had them by the short and curlies. He apologised for his foreman who he referred to as 'having broken the mould' and as a difficult fellow to manage at the best of times. I was genuinely taken aback based on the denials that I'd initially encountered. He just said that they had public liability insurance so it was no skin off his nose, he wasn't going to be unreasonable about it.

So, here is the damage on the back wheel arch. Do you reckon that Martin could fix this Asker based on repairs he has undertaken on Wolfgang?

« Last Edit: 17 February 2011, 15:31 by AGB »
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Glad they were reasonable.
However, that does not look very good. Hell of a dent. The paint surface seems to have been broken a bit. He can get rid of the dent probably, but you might need a localised (?) re-spray. IMO that is more of a bodyshop job. Aarrrrgh.
I really feel for you.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2011, 15:46 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline AGB

• I live here
However, that does not look very good. Hell of a dent. The paint surface seems to have been broken a bit. He can get rid of the dent probably, but you might need a localised (?) re-spray. IMO that is more of a bodyshop job. I might be wrong. Aarrrrgh.
I really feel for you.

I think the lacquer is scuffed, I'd like a second opinion and haven't started messing around with it in case I do more damage. It probably looks worse than it does paint wise due to the reflection.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
However, that does not look very good. Hell of a dent. The paint surface seems to have been broken a bit. He can get rid of the dent probably, but you might need a localised (?) re-spray. IMO that is more of a bodyshop job. I might be wrong. Aarrrrgh.
I really feel for you.
I think the lacquer is scuffed, I'd like a second opinion and haven't started messing around with it in case I do more damage. It probably looks worse than it does paint wise due to the reflection.

Alex: Don't touch it, please. See what he says. If it's only the lacquer and it has not gone through to the undercoat, then I think you'll be ok. If he can't fix it, then a bodyshop it is. IMO. Aarrgh again.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2011, 15:58 by am1w »

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
Thanks for all the messages of support guys. The temptation to fashion a noose off their scaffolding and staple the repair bill to it is almost too much to resist. I'm definitely going to give Dentmaster a call.

The thing that irritates me the most, not a single piece of damage to the car has been attributable to me other than a scratch on the wheel. I remember the car I had before, I wasn't as precious about it and nothing ever happened to it. Since I've had the Mk6, I've had a stone chip on the roof from what sounded like Halley's Comet ricocheting off the top, I've had a cyclist go into the back of me the other week, scaffolders putting small dents into the car and then some shopper bashing the side of it leaving me to find another small dent. Oh yeah, and I've had two punctures in my back left in consecutive months.

She's a year old next month, they do grow up quickly.  :grin:

+1 That's always the way. My GTi is the first car I've been totally obsessed with and to date I've had a couple of self inflicted wounds, a similar issue with a stone chip on the roof (thought I'd been shot by a sniper), a motorbike handlebar damage my wing mirror and kwik effing twits damage a Monza shadow alloy. As I love the car so much I've had everything repaired to date otherwise I know it will just bug me otherwise.

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Oh how true. I don't give a stuff about the Merc. But my GTI is another matter. I simply cannot understand why I am so nuts about it. This is beginning to really concern me. Maybe I should let Wolfgang find his wings. :sad: :cry:

I DON'T THINK SO. AT LEAST FOR NOW. :cool:

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
Oh how true. I don't give a stuff about the Merc. But my GTI is another matter. I simply cannot understand why I am so nuts about it. This is beginning to really concern me. Maybe I should let Wolfgang find his wings. :sad: :cry:

Maybe cause the MERC's just a MERC but the GTI is a truly iconic car  :undecided: :smiley:

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto

Maybe cause the MERC's just a MERC but the GTI is a truly iconic car  :undecided: :smiley:

Amen!

Offline AGB

• I live here

Amen!

I don't think there would be much resistance to an SLS, well, not from anyway.  :tongue:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
It's a Merc C Class 350 CDI Sport (AMG body kit and big wheels), 7 speed Auto, fully loaded specced and delivered on the same day as the GTI. :cool: :undecided:

PS: I have scaffolded houses on either side of me and the workers are throwing and somtimes missing bricks etc into the skips. A blind man could not miss! Plus the filthy language. I had to ask them to temper this as there are children around. :rolleyes:
They are driving me nuts. :angry:
« Last Edit: 18 February 2011, 17:02 by am1w »