Author Topic: Door Liners  (Read 985 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Door Liners
« on: 01 December 2010, 22:26 »
Thought I'd mention it in case anyone ends up with bald spots on their door liners which then leak. They're overpriced spare parts and a minor hassle to install but I'm taking the view that prevention is better than cure and all that...

If you look on the top of your door, you'll see that you've got a velvety liner running around the top perimeter closest to the occupant. As one of the seals, it gets wet and is thus prone to freezing. When it does it'll bond like super glue to the car and on opening the door, it'll give at the weakest point which is usually the liner and you'll end up pulling pieces out of it. It looks unsightly and then leaves an open channel for water to flow into exacerbating the problem if bad weather persists and eventually, it looks a bit tatty and needs replacement.

As a precaution against this happening, I've used 3M detailing tape used to mask off areas when polishing, it doesn't leave a residue but I've run a neat line along the inside sill. It's not a strong adhesive so when you open the door, the theory is that this will give before the liner and allow you to open the door without creating bald spots. Granted, it's not the prettiest solution and isn't visible from the outside if done neatly but it's only temporary for when the weather is so inclement. It's worked a treat so far.

Running a cloth along the inside edge when it's thawed a bit to remove excess water is also a good plan.

Hope this helps some of you out.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Door Liners
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2010, 00:14 »
Thanks.

Is this a problem with the MkV at all?

Reason I ask is we have been below zero degrees all week where I stay and not once has the door been frozen.
I do know the fabric liners you are talking about as I thought it was a strange design compared to the usual rubber but so far I have been impressed.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: Door Liners
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2010, 09:39 »
Yeah, I know of this problem due to the MkV so wanted to prevent the same happening on my Mk6.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR