Author Topic: engine recall ?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
engine recall ?
« on: 11 October 2009, 12:11 »
wonder how true this is (from the USA)

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2261

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: engine recall ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2009, 12:13 »
Bloody hell how many links did you make me click  :tongue:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4599216

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2009, 12:18 »
interesting PDI check...idle for 10mins, drive at 70mph in the third gear and see if it siezes..

Offline Aur

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2009, 12:27 »
That and the DSG recall by VWoA.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2009, 12:35 »
the cars arent driven at 70 mph in 3rd for 20 miles.
 Warm up for 10 minutes at idle, test drive for 20 miles, test drive must include an unspecified ammount of full load accelerations in 3rd gear. not sustained 70 mph. Let engine idle for 10 more minutes. If at any time it SIEZES or makes noises, call for help.

Last, this little procedure is to catch a very select few engines that may have made it out with a manufacturing defect. thats it. it will be VERY apparent if your new car has one of these engines, and also extremely unlikely. if it blows up, you get a new one.

I took a look at the RVU today at work and there is a specific VIN range of gti, jetta, and eos' with the 2.0TSI that we are looking at. The RVU requires an extensive test drive under special conditions. If no abnormal engine noise is apparent the vehicle is OK. If any noise is realized the technician must contact the technical helpline for further instruction. I don't recall the specific numbers in the VIN range but I do remember it being a rather small number of VINs. I understand the irony of this whole situation in light of Jacoby's recent statements about growth in the US. But before everyone gets too carried away, let's remember all of the previous problems VW experienced and amplified through denial and head in sand leadership. I for one am impressed that they are jumping in front of this dilema and fixing it BEFORE it becomes another PR nightmare.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2009, 13:09 »
Sounds like a load of frollox to me... what waste of time that place is :lipsrsealed: