Author Topic: the saga continues ...my mk 6 heap of scrap  (Read 15085 times)

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
Re: the saga continues ...my mk 6 heap of scrap
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2009, 11:36 »
what exactly are the symptoms of the fault? and whereabouts in the country are you?

I'm over in Northern Ireland. Car is 6 weeks old and the fault started to occur on day 2. When coming to a stop in town stop/start traffic the revs will not drop down to the normal 800rpm. They stick at anything from 1000 to 1600rpm. It's reasonably easy to reproduce by changing down from 3rd to 2nd. This causes the revs to rise, but normally they would drop down again when you dip the clutch...when my car is misbehaving they stick. Effectively the car can then drive itself..I don't need to touch the accelerator when it's 'stuck'. A blip of the accelerator to over 2k rpm brings the idle back down to normal.

It does this randomly. Car can be hot or cold. So far they have changed the throttle pedal/sensor and yesterday the throttle body.

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2009, 11:43 »
what exactly are the symptoms of the fault? and whereabouts in the country are you?

I'm over in Northern Ireland. Car is 6 weeks old and the fault started to occur on day 2. When coming to a stop in town stop/start traffic the revs will not drop down to the normal 800rpm. They stick at anything from 1000 to 1600rpm. It's reasonably easy to reproduce by changing down from 3rd to 2nd. This causes the revs to rise, but normally they would drop down again when you dip the clutch...when my car is misbehaving they stick. Effectively the car can then drive itself..I don't need to touch the accelerator when it's 'stuck'. A blip of the accelerator to over 2k rpm brings the idle back down to normal.

It does this randomly. Car can be hot or cold. So far they have changed the throttle pedal/sensor and yesterday the throttle body.

This is exactly what my MKV did. If the throttle body replacement hasn't worked it could be something completely unrelated - DV, coil pack, etc

Try Googling 'VW independent garages Northern Ireland' or something? Sorry to repeat myself, but surely a second opinion can't hurt..?

My Indy doesn't even charge for diagnostic visits (of which there's been a few)!
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2009, 11:59 »
could be coilpacks.. the mechanics at wherever you've taken the car should be looking at those next really. Elimination process!

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2009, 12:05 »
You shouldn't have to go to an independant.
The car is new and under warranty, the supplying dealer has a legal obligation to sort this.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2009, 12:10 »
You shouldn't have to go to an independant.
The car is new and under warranty, the supplying dealer has a legal obligation to sort this.

Agreed, but if it's a gratis diagnostic and it fixes the problem...

could be coilpacks.. the mechanics at wherever you've taken the car should be looking at those next really. Elimination process!

Yes. From MKV forum research, I'd think coil pack/spark plugs would be next to check. DV after that...?
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2009, 15:40 »

Possible faulty clutch pedal switch?  What happens if you double dip the clutch pedal?  Or let the clutch pedal 'snap up' by itself, rather than easing it up with your foot?  You'd need to fully press the clutch pedal, then slide your foot off sideways.

HTH
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2009, 12:54 »
UK consumer law dictates that you have to give the dealer three attempts to fix the problem before rejecting the vehicle as not up to standard.  I think i would double check this with trading standards and then write to the Dealer Principal / Sales Director, detailing the faults, dealer visit dates and your desire to reject the car.  They will probably try to find a replacmenet vehicle, but this could leave you without a car or driving a faulty one in the interim. They will probably ask for the difference in price between your car now and the cost of a new one (even at 6 weeks old !).  I'd stand firm for a striaght swap, again with advice from trading standards/citizens advice.

I successfully rejected a new car in 2006, but i never drove it out of the showroom (paintwork swirled on PDI) - they tried to revallet and then hide it with Zymol wax (the showroom smelt nice !!), but i wasn't having it. Not doubt a little easier to reject a car sat in the plate glass showrrom than one thats used, but i think you have a very valid case. If i can get a satisfactory result from Porsche i'm sure you can from VW.

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2009, 11:55 »
So the dealer has had the car for 3 days now and not found the issue. They are working with VW technical who seem to be as confused as the dealer. They think it's a vacuum leak somewhere. If they pull the dipstick out a bit and run the engine it seems to create the same 'high idle' symptoms.

I've had their demo GTI for the week and this morning it stuck at 1000rpm when warm at a junction!!.

So both cars came in about the same time to the dealership.

1. is there a more common issue here ? - unlikely as it doesn't seem to be happening to any of you
2. is my car and the dealers got a part from a faulty batch ?
3. could they both have been give contaminated fuel by the dealer ...would that cause the same symptoms?

...we'll see what happens all getting very tedious.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2009, 12:17 »
if they suspect a vac leak surely the next logical step is a pressure test while the engine is still warm. coloured/UV tainted smoke pumped in at high pressure and watch for leaks!

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2009, 13:18 »
Adw didnt realise until now you were in N Ireland, PM me the name of the dealer, or post it here if you like. I live in N Ireland too. I used to work at one of the dealers many years ago and I still have a lot of contacts in VW. How helpful has the dealer concerned been to you? I willl sure see what I can do for you mate.
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom