Author Topic: A newbies build thread  (Read 22351 times)

Offline forewheels

• Not said much yet
  • in repair mode
Re: A newbies build thread
« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2012, 22:09 »
cheers guys!
next thing on the list is the bumper. im not sure to whether i should just replace it with a standard bumper, or go down this path http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=241180.msg2222277#msg2222277.

although i like stevie despriet's OEM look with the stock bumper,

thats making me want to get the r32 lights aswell, i hope i dont get too addicted :grin:

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2012, 17:45 »
Yes definitely try and get the GTI bumper without the exhaust hole, not sure how easy they are to find tho...

Sounds like your already getting addicted, once you start you can't stop! :laugh:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2012, 01:37 »
Sounds like your already getting addicted, once you start you can't stop! :laugh:

Much like 'Pringles' and 'Prostitution'  :grin:
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2012, 10:00 »

:laugh: yep the Pringles saying popped into my head when I was writing the post... :grin:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2012, 18:38 »

:laugh: yep the Pringles saying popped into my head when I was writing the post... :grin:

We're usually on the same wavelength GTD  :kiss:
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 October 2012, 20:34 »

We're usually on the same wavelength GTD  :kiss:

:wink:

Offline forewheels

• Not said much yet
  • in repair mode
« Reply #16 on: 16 October 2012, 01:38 »
Yeah, its pretty much impossible to find. so for the meanwhile ive replaced the old bumper with a new stock one, looks fresh still. photos up soon! turns out it was abit of a pain in the a$$ to replace but ohwell, all will be explained soon.

Offline forewheels

• Not said much yet
  • in repair mode
« Reply #17 on: 19 October 2012, 17:56 »

so i ordered a stock oem bumper off ebay for pretty cheap. The old bumper had been yanked in the middle somehow, possibly a nasty curbing accident  :huh:

i started to take it apart, took the screws out, yanked the old skirting off which took abit of force.

these are the 2 bumpers compared

so i tried to pop the valance back in the way it came out, easy right? wrong!

ended up disassembling the whole back of my car.....
with help from a m8 and 18 screws later, the back of my car looked bare.
after about an hour of fiddling around trying to get the two parts of the bumper to join, it was sorted and slotted back in and bolted on!

end result
TIPS
1.remove the bottom part with the top part still attached to the car, start from the edges and work your way in.
2. remove the whole bumper after and save yourself half an hour trying to clip it back on.
3. have a second person help you to remove the bumper, the clip for the reg plate lights is located behind the bumper  on the bottom right side, have someone hold the bumper while you unclip it or vice versa.
4. to clip the valance into the top part of the bumper spray all the clips with WD40 and get hands on both sides and give them a firm whack to clip them into place all along.

Offline forewheels

• Not said much yet
  • in repair mode
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2012, 23:59 »
had a sticker on for about 3 weeks, took me until this time to find out i hadnt taken the backing off it. much better

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 02 November 2012, 07:35 »
Looking good so far mate, welcome along :)