Author Topic: stall / erattic idle on mk3 golf  (Read 1718 times)

Offline daz123

• Not said much yet
stall / erattic idle on mk3 golf
« on: 28 March 2005, 19:24 »
my car stalls at junctions , and sometimes on idle, dips , stalls, please help as just brought the damn thing but didnt start doin it , till i got home. :cry:

Offline Loseit

• Just got here
Re: stall / erattic idle on mk3 golf
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2005, 16:51 »
Hi Daz - I had the same problem on mine not long after I bought it - easy to fix so dont worry!

In completely non-technical (coz I dont know what the tech would be ) speak...

Its when part of the enginer gets dirty and air cant pass through so engine cant breathe and stalls (or something vaguely like this), only seems to happen when your easing off the Accel. (nothing like coming up to a down hill corner junction and losing steering eh!)

To fix - Its the hose running along the left hand sideto the back of the engine and along - it gets to a box (about a 1/3 along from the left) and its the insides of this (and the connecting pipe) that need cleaned out.

My Local garage sorted it out for around a tenner, but if you've got the time (and haynes manual) then it should be an easy job..

I've got some instructions and pics somewhere - will try and find them for ya!

And If someone knows what the bits I've talked about are called, or can provide some pics please do...

Hope it helps ya - made a huge difference for me and think I might even get better mpg now aswell!

Loseit.

Offline fusey

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2005, 13:14 »
 :embarassed: Hello, i am having the same problem on my N 96 GTI 8 valve,

I have replaced the breather pipe - as it was well worn but still stalling at junctions/

I am not sure if the breather pipe is what you are talking about in your fix, it runs out of the engine block on the front and up to the top of the rocker cover where there is a black box type with two inlets for the hose, then the other end of the hose goes into the main airfilter pipe?

if you have anymore info please could you send it over.

Cheers

Offline K REG MK 2 GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2005, 13:22 »
hi i would clean out the throttle body were the air intake trunk goes in from the air filter the flap does not operate properly clean it up with some carb cleaner and a clean rag and then give it a good drive using the complete rev range and that then should help reset basic setting

Offline fusey

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2005, 16:27 »
  :smiley:

Turned out to be a loose conection on the Air flow controller thingy --- seems to be sorted out know.

Cheers