Author Topic: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement  (Read 19453 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2019, 16:55 »
Sorry to hear your story. PH is full of this at the moment. I bought a GTI over an R hoping it would be less desirable to theft, but recently there are many stories appearing about them going missing.  :sad:

Did they ‘lock snap’ their way in?  :angry:

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2019, 17:09 »
Sad to hear. Ridiculous that some people think it’s OK to do stuff like this. Hope they’re caught soonest.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 07 February 2019, 18:53 »
Thanks for the comments everyone - much appreciated.

No Gap insurance unfortunately. Re the lock snap - i think that sounds about right. They bent the brass covers off the locks and got into them. The locksmith explained it a bit better, got camera footage and took them about 15 mins but still got in. Apparently can get anti shatter (might not be correct terminology) locks which is what he is recommending to the insurance company for a replacement which would have made it more difficult.

Any thoughts in electric garage doors (in central / east scotland). I think if i am going to garage a new car all the time it is probably a worthwhile investment - house is c10-15 years old and got up and over garage doors. Will also get alarm serviced and some new sensors added. I really cant think what this is all going to cost me.

Thinkng about it earlier - it feels to me like the government should offer a tax break or something similar to cover the cost of non fault crimes like this.

Also going to build a strong case re valuation so i am ready to challenge the insurance company valuation - thanks for all the advice

kmpowell - whats PH? know i am being thick but not sure!

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2019, 19:06 »
I had an old up and over garage door which I changed for a sectional automatic door with remote opening. Really helps when you pull up the drive, press the button and you’re in. Worth every penny imo. Think it was around 1-1.5k from what I remember.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 07 February 2019, 22:57 »
having a look on drive the deal - i thought the performance pack came with the DCC - is this incorrect?

looking on the options i need to add it but i thought i had it. Is this worth it with the 19 inch alloys for a better ride?

also see you get the discount with the PCP - but i understand you can pay this off immediately - just to make sure i get this right - there is no interest implications if you do this? deal actually seems quite good on drive the deal. I can basically order the same car as i had for a very similar price. wonder if there are any options i should have had that i could add now...!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 07 February 2019, 23:04 by sandsy »

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2019, 23:01 »
Thanks for the comments everyone - much appreciated.

No Gap insurance unfortunately. Re the lock snap - i think that sounds about right. They bent the brass covers off the locks and got into them. The locksmith explained it a bit better, got camera footage and took them about 15 mins but still got in. Apparently can get anti shatter (might not be correct terminology) locks which is what he is recommending to the insurance company for a replacement which would have made it more difficult.

Any thoughts in electric garage doors (in central / east scotland). I think if i am going to garage a new car all the time it is probably a worthwhile investment - house is c10-15 years old and got up and over garage doors. Will also get alarm serviced and some new sensors added. I really cant think what this is all going to cost me.

Thinkng about it earlier - it feels to me like the government should offer a tax break or something similar to cover the cost of non fault crimes like this.

Also going to build a strong case re valuation so i am ready to challenge the insurance company valuation - thanks for all the advice

kmpowell - whats PH? know i am being thick but not sure!

PH is Pistonheads.

Take a look at Hormann Garage Doors, their sectional garage doors are excellent. I have three on a cart lodge, not a single fault or squeak out of them in 4 years. SWS Seceuroglide and Garador are also good products.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 February 2019, 00:22 »
having a look on drive the deal - i thought the performance pack came with the DCC - is this incorrect?

looking on the options i need to add it but i thought i had it. Is this worth it with the 19 inch alloys for a better ride?

also see you get the discount with the PCP - but i understand you can pay this off immediately - just to make sure i get this right - there is no interest implications if you do this? deal actually seems quite good on drive the deal. I can basically order the same car as i had for a very similar price. wonder if there are any options i should have had that i could add now...!  :smiley:

No unfortunately the Dynamic Chassis Control is a standalone option i'm afraid. Only you can really decide if it's worth it, but if you've managed all this time not realising you didn't have it then it's clear you can manage without it. That doesn't mean though that you wouldn't notice an improvement.

You should be able to pay off the finance in the first few days, you'll incur a nominal interest charge of a few pounds. Not much really, VWFS tend not to pursue customers for deposit contributions when they exit the finance agreement.
7.5 GTD

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2019, 07:15 »

You should be able to pay off the finance in the first few days, you'll incur a nominal interest charge of a few pounds. Not much really, VWFS tend not to pursue customers for deposit contributions when they exit the finance agreement.

VWFS cannot claim back the deposit contribution as current consumer law stands, just to clarify - "tend not to" implies they could if they wanted to.

For every day within the 14 day cooling off period you don't request to withdraw from the agreement, you'll be charged about £4 interest.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2019, 07:28 »

VWFS cannot claim back the deposit contribution as current consumer law stands, just to clarify - "tend not to" implies they could if they wanted to.

For every day within the 14 day cooling off period you don't request to withdraw from the agreement, you'll be charged about £4 interest.

Just to clarify then, what do they charge if you settle after the 14 day cooling off period? And what does consumer law actually state?
7.5 GTD

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 08 February 2019, 07:29 »

Let’s make this clearer. As discussed on here and as experienced by me and many others, you can pay off the finance in the first few days. You will be charged the interest due for those few days. VWFS will not persue you for the deposit contribution.

The dealer who sold us my wife’s car was (almost) embarassed when I asked him about it. They will not draw your attention to the possibility of doing this, but it is a function of current finance law that you have the right to terminate the agreement, whatever that agreement includes. The guy later admitted that he had done the same thing himself for his parents!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.