Author Topic: Unknown Mileage Engine - Checks?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline bmouthboyo

• Here all the time
Unknown Mileage Engine - Checks?
« on: 17 June 2018, 21:53 »
Hi Guys,

I am hoping to upgrade the engine in my VW T25 Campervan from its existing GTI Mk1 DX engine to a MK3 AGG I have sourced.

The seller claims it is 40000 miles! However when checking the reg it came from it seems that it went from 140000 just over 2 years ago to 40000 upward for the next 2 MOT's. I asked about this and the seller said the previous owner had a recon engine. Sounds a bit suspicious.

I went with the purchase as it was cheap for the engine, loom etc that I need. I saw a video of it running but it was part broke for parts when I asked about the engine so didn't get a chance to compression test etc.

So my first question is there a way to compression test with the car on a stand? Anything I can look for to indicate the age / mileage?

I had a look at the cam lobes:

They have slight marks on all of them, is this OK or indicates any issues?

On a side note I removed the clutch and noticed a strange gasket / rubber around the rear crank seal housing. My MK1 doesn't have it and was wondering if anyone could advise on what it is?

Thanks  :smiley:

Offline gazareth

• I live here
Re: Unknown Mileage Engine - Checks?
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2018, 19:15 »
you could bolt a gearbox and starter to it for a compression test. need clutch and flywheel too of course. 140k is not a lot for one of them engines if its been serviced and used wisely.