Author Topic: Kiwi shoe polish for GTi bumpers with pics  (Read 19277 times)

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
Kiwi shoe polish for GTi bumpers with pics
« on: 18 February 2007, 14:51 »
I read about this elsewhere on this forum and decided to give it a go.  :smiley: I found autoglym bumper care to be good but only lasted a few weeks so decided to try this.

First 3 pics of the car before a wash, polish and bumper treatment.  The rear bumper and front spoiler plastics are in the worst condition.

I then used autoglym car wash, super resin polish and Kiwi!  Its getting a bit dark but I think the pics still show a good result.  The rear bumper looks much better.

I left it overnight and was pleased to find that the dew had not ruined it!  I decided to try a second coat as others in this forum had suggested:

It looks good and is darker!  I probably prefer the look after 1 coat.  I will post pics again in a few weeks / months to see how long it lasts.  The stuff is £1.88 from Tesco  :wink: and 1 bottle did 2 coats with enough left for perhaps 2 more.  I found the best technique was to do one wheel arch or bumper at a time applying with a circular motion where possible, then buff off any excess with a rag.

Thanks to the other folks here that suggested this.  I have found many great ideas and helpful posts here.  I think I will try an ATF flush at the next oil change!  :grin:

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
Re: Kiwi shoe polish for GTi bumpers with pics
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2007, 15:41 »
Does anyone have any idea how long the finish lasts ?

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2007, 16:30 »
I did mine over 2 week's ago with cheapo shoe polish!!! (about 88p from wilko's in a similar bottle to kiwi) and after washing today it still look's good (I also did my front bumper with autoglym and she's gone white again.... :angry:) I will get picture's up at some point
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2007, 19:01 »
Fair play mate ! If its that good I could be saying bye - bye to my bottle full of Autoglym snot  :wink:

Offline vw-bob

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2007, 13:45 »
how long did it take to apply the kiwi polish as ive got a couple of hours this afternoon and might give it a go? what kind of cloth did you use to wipe the excess off? lint free cloth?

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2007, 13:53 »
Apply a few coats when you wash the car and it lasts months and months...

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2007, 15:28 »
Thats what I was hoping to hear  :wink:

Offline vw-bob

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2007, 18:06 »
after reading the post on here i went to tesco and bought the last bottle they had...and what gear!!! works a treat...would deff recommend it.. thanks Simon8v91 for the tip  :grin:

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2007, 23:02 »
funnily enough i used the same(ish) product this weekend aswell! It was Morrisons own shoe scuff polish, i think its slightly thicker than the normal wax stuff, went on very well (but it runs like mad if u have any drips of water left on the plastics!

pics here: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=54984.0

it works SO much better than back to black (which is about 75% of a can to one application!)

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline patch900

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2007, 08:52 »
I am definately in for some of that stuff, back to black is s***e it lasts about 1 day at best before the bumpers start to look faded again  :angry:
Virtually everything I know about the workings of the internal combustion engine can be written on the back of a small stamp with a large marker