Author Topic: 170 BRD engine slow throttle response  (Read 8564 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
170 BRD engine slow throttle response
« on: 21 April 2014, 15:20 »
Hi All,

My first post in a long time but hoping someone can help.
I have a problem with the variable intake inlet flap that is causing slow/poor throttle response at low revs......basically its not working. If I try sucking on the tube to the inlet flap actuator nothing happens. Also if I physically move the actuator and hold my finger over the end the actuator drops back. My prognosis is that the diaphragm is leaking. I have purchased a replacement and this one moves when I suck on the tube and stays in position when I put my finger over the end thereby confirming my troubleshooting.

Has anyone replaced one of these? It looks to me like an inlet manifold off job! That being the case, apart from the inlet manifold gasket what other seals and gaskets will I need? Obviously I will use the opportunity to clean out the EGR and inlet manifold so I'm guessing I will need something for the EGR itself?
TIA

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: 170 BRD engine slow throttle response
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2014, 11:35 »
Inlet manifold is now off along with the EGR. What a gunky mess it is in there.
Don't really want to go down the road of deleting EGR but I believe there is an adaptation in VAGCOM for for reducing EGR. Anyone know where I can find it?

Offline Dipesh2031

• GTI forum regular
  • Options bae?
Re: 170 BRD engine slow throttle response
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2014, 11:06 »
why don't you want to get rid of egr? sure in the winter months it'll take slightly longer to warm up, but I'd rather have clean cylinders knowing no dirty exhaust gasses are going back into my cylinders and contaminating my oil!
MK6 GTi - Black - DSG - 18' Monza shadow - Luxury Pack - Convenience pack - Park assist - Xenons - RNS510 - Adaptive chassis control - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - Reverse camera - front/rear sensors --mods-- Evoms Intake - Eurojet/stasis Turboback Catless 3" exhaust