Author Topic: Couple of amateur questions  (Read 9694 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: Couple of amateur questions
« Reply #20 on: 08 April 2018, 18:42 »
Hmm, let's see if I can find your #1 preferred item. Seems Meguiars is kind of messy to apply and I'm after something as simple as possible. Or else I can scroll down your review list  :smiley:

https://www.achemshop.co.uk/product/hi-shine/

Delivery charge is a bit steep but it’s worth it.  But, you mentioned you don’t like strong smelling chemicals, so this will not be for you, as it’s potent stuff, very strong solvent smell, but brilliant potent stuff.

Hi-Shine does not seem easy to get here in Sweden so I gave a cheapo water based tire dressing from a local shop here a try, was more like a cream that i used a sponge applicator to evenly apply on the tires. Did two rounds and still once it dried after a few min there was no shine at all left on the tire...  :sad: what a waste of time.

So, any other more widely available than A-Chem item that is recommended? Ideally i want to either spray it on the tire and apply it while wiping with an applicator, or pour it on the applicator directly and dress the tires. How is Meguiars Endurance more complex/messy to apply? That's available in most shops here.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 08 April 2018, 18:57 »
Hmm, let's see if I can find your #1 preferred item. Seems Meguiars is kind of messy to apply and I'm after something as simple as possible. Or else I can scroll down your review list  :smiley:

https://www.achemshop.co.uk/product/hi-shine/

Delivery charge is a bit steep but it’s worth it.  But, you mentioned you don’t like strong smelling chemicals, so this will not be for you, as it’s potent stuff, very strong solvent smell, but brilliant potent stuff.

Hi-Shine does not seem easy to get here in Sweden so I gave a cheapo water based tire dressing from a local shop here a try, was more like a cream that i used a sponge applicator to evenly apply on the tires. Did two rounds and still once it dried after a few min there was no shine at all left on the tire...  :sad: what a waste of time.

So, any other more widely available than A-Chem item that is recommended? Ideally i want to either spray it on the tire and apply it while wiping with an applicator, or pour it on the applicator directly and dress the tires. How is Meguiars Endurance more complex/messy to apply? That's available in most shops here.

I’d go with Megs Endurance then.  It’s thicker than Achem so a bit more effort to apply but not much.  It doesn’t last as long but it’s the second best tyre dressing I’ve tried and as a silicone formula has better staying power than water based formulas.  I can honestly say I think water based tyre dressings are just not up to the job at all ime.  Meg’s is a thick purple gel.  Apply the Megs with a foam applicator pad or a dedicated tyre dressing applicator, and I’d you want more of a satin rather than gloss finish wipe over with a microfibre after application.  It’s good stuff.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #22 on: 08 April 2018, 20:04 »
I’d go with Megs Endurance then.  It’s thicker than Achem so a bit more effort to apply but not much.  It doesn’t last as long but it’s the second best tyre dressing I’ve tried and as a silicone formula has better staying power than water based formulas.  I can honestly say I think water based tyre dressings are just not up to the job at all ime.  Meg’s is a thick purple gel.  Apply the Megs with a foam applicator pad or a dedicated tyre dressing applicator, and I’d you want more of a satin rather than gloss finish wipe over with a microfibre after application.  It’s good stuff.

Cheers Booth, Meguiars it is. Sounds exactly like the item I used earlier, it was quite viscous and it needed a few passes to completely apply on the rubber and not stay on the grooves of the tire pattern. Problem is it didn't just stay shiny at all after a couple of mins. Maybe needed more applications? How many passes do you need to do with Meguiars to get a glossy finish usually?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 08 April 2018, 20:38 »

Cheers Booth, Meguiars it is. Sounds exactly like the item I used earlier, it was quite viscous and it needed a few passes to completely apply on the rubber and not stay on the grooves of the tire pattern. Problem is it didn't just stay shiny at all after a couple of mins. Maybe needed more applications? How many passes do you need to do with Meguiars to get a glossy finish usually?

You’ll get a decent gloss with one coat, but two coats is best.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #24 on: 08 April 2018, 21:24 »

Ok. Did two with the other product i mentioned earlier and couldn't tell the difference, both times it seemed to fade out quickly but will check tomorrow again just in case.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 08 April 2018, 21:51 »

Ok. Did two with the other product i mentioned earlier and couldn't tell the difference, both times it seemed to fade out quickly but will check tomorrow again just in case.

This is Meguiars Endurance on my mk6 GTI.  This is just a single coat left to dry for a gloss finish.

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #26 on: 08 April 2018, 23:23 »
That looks really good in fact, nothing like that dressing earlier so I guess it's down to the product, cheers.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 09 April 2018, 00:20 »
That looks really good in fact, nothing like that dressing earlier so I guess it's down to the product, cheers.

As I said, waterbased tyre dressing is not a patch on silicone or solvent based tyre dressing.  That’s why your other stuff hasn’t delivered the results you’re wanting.  But with silicone/solvent comes a string smell.  Small price to pay for a decent dressing. Meg’s smell is better and not so strong as Achem. .
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual