Author Topic: Dump valve issue?  (Read 915 times)

Offline Ainsleyg1981

• Not said much yet
Dump valve issue?
« on: 17 October 2016, 21:32 »
Hi
I've just brought my gti turbo (99)w it seems very low on power it seems after chatting on here that is how they are until remapped.
I just wanted to check a couple of things which don't look right to me.
1) it has a flappy cone filter not secured to the mAf.
2) it has a poxy pttshhh dump valve not a recirculating one

It boosts at 0.5 bar max. That seems very low to me. I get no kick back in my chair whatso ever from the turbo.
Lastly the dump valve is located in what seems an odd position compared to most of the others I've seen online. It's located at the front of the engine on the left rather than the top on the right like most seem to be? Is that correct?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Dump valve issue?
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2016, 09:49 »
If its on the left at the front its been relocated to the cold side. Makes a crisper pshhh sound.
Id run a recerc valve personally but they can run without anything at all... People put the dump valves on because there louder.

If its not throwing you back in your seat it could well be a split Vaccuum pipe.
If you get some silicone piping... 3mm id and look for the n249 bypass and stuff You can get it down 2, 3 bits of silicone pipe and itll boost better... Not alot mind.
Remap is the major thing to change it

Offline Ainsleyg1981

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2016, 10:06 »
Hi
Thanks for your reply.  I don't really understand all that n249 stuff. I've read about it. I'm quite handy with my spanners but I'm learning this engine & car as it's new and I've never had one before.
I'm just trying to work out if it's worth spending money on tuning it as I was hoping for at least a nippy car but it's far from it it's very poor.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2016, 11:06 »
When you remove the n249 and another valve it stops the ecu limiting the boost slighrly. So youll get a little better pickup.
When I did it to a customers s3 and took it out it was miles better than before.
You have to thing all the vac lines are getting on abit now and a little split can cause a massive problem.

As people say from atandard there not great, my mate had an agu and when that was mapped thay was crazy afterwards.