Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 530195 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1990 on: 27 February 2019, 07:38 »
There’s lots of decent wheels sealants and coatings out there Peter.  The likes of Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour, Gyeon Q2 RIM, CarPro DLUX etc, are all very durable long lasting coatings, but ideally are wheels off applications, as they need 24 hrs to cure.  I just use Gtechniq C2v3 or Sonax BSD these days, just applied every month. They are not specific for wheels but I find they’re pretty decent protection if you don’t mind applying regularly. But if you want much greater longevity then one of the aforementioned sealants is what you need.
As well as those, also consider ‘Stance rim coat’ by KAMIKAZE. I had it applied to my wheels due to high levels of durability and heat resistance it gives. The nano tech gives it a two year coating and my experience with it so far has been very positive.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #1991 on: 27 February 2019, 10:50 »
There’s lots of decent wheels sealants and coatings out there Peter.  The likes of Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour, Gyeon Q2 RIM, CarPro DLUX etc, are all very durable long lasting coatings, but ideally are wheels off applications, as they need 24 hrs to cure.  I just use Gtechniq C2v3 or Sonax BSD these days, just applied every month. They are not specific for wheels but I find they’re pretty decent protection if you don’t mind applying regularly. But if you want much greater longevity then one of the aforementioned sealants is what you need.
As well as those, also consider ‘Stance rim coat’ by KAMIKAZE. I had it applied to my wheels due to high levels of durability and heat resistance it gives. The nano tech gives it a two year coating and my experience with it so far has been very positive.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of these wheel sealants?  I've never used one in my life and all my wheels have always looked spot-on.  I'm assuming they just make removal of brake dust a little easier?
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #1992 on: 27 February 2019, 11:22 »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of these wheel sealants?  I've never used one in my life and all my wheels have always looked spot-on.  I'm assuming they just make removal of brake dust a little easier?
A lot will come down to the type of driving you do in your car, but in general road grime/salts/dirt/water and oils adhere to wheel lacquer and over-time will bake onto the wheel. Brake dust immediately bonds to the wheel while hot and starts the oxidisation process and causes pitting an immovable marks/stains.

So if you are regular doing high speed/energy braking, it will clause an issue quickly. A good coat protects the wheel from this and has the upside of making the wheel so much easier to clean, ensuring you can get rid of all the road grime and brake dust. :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #1993 on: 28 February 2019, 02:28 »
Thanks for that.  I guess you blokes also have salt on the roads to deal with.  I give my rims a clean roughly once a week with an Enjo microfibre mit and that seems to keep them pristine.  And the driving I do is mostly easy on brakes, so that would be a contributing factor.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1994 on: 11 March 2019, 16:05 »
Quick maintenance wash on this over the weekend so mine remains rather dirty. Wheels off this weekend though...

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1995 on: 17 March 2019, 21:28 »
Wheels swapped front to back so gave them and the calipers a serious clean and applied ceramic coat.

The job was made nice and easy with vinyl coated wheel nuts, breaker bar, torque wrench and a 3 tonne jack  :smiley:

Clean process - Snow foam, Fallout/Iron remover, Billberry wheel cleaner, claybar, hand polish, metal polish to diamond cut ares and then Platinum Wheels.

« Last Edit: 17 March 2019, 21:38 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #1996 on: 18 March 2019, 11:24 »
Great job on the wheels and calipers :) Thats the exact same socket set I have :)
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1997 on: 18 March 2019, 13:50 »
Great job on the wheels and calipers :) Thats the exact same socket set I have :)

Cheers. Yes, remember I scratched the black part of the wheels using the std wheel socket when I did them on my previous Mk7.5 and we used them on the detailing course I did back in 2017 so invested in a set! Plus the breaker bar means no issues getting them loose.  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1998 on: 19 March 2019, 16:42 »

Cheers. Yes, remember I scratched the black part of the wheels using the std wheel socket when I did them on my previous Mk7.5 and we used them on the detailing course I did back in 2017 so invested in a set! Plus the breaker bar means no issues getting them loose.  :smiley:

When you scratched the black part did you use anything to sort it out or just leave it? I've got marks on the barrel of 2 of my wheels that I wouldn't mind trying to sort myself. Not too bothered though so not really willing to fork out for a bodyshop to sort them.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1999 on: 21 March 2019, 16:24 »

When you scratched the black part did you use anything to sort it out or just leave it? I've got marks on the barrel of 2 of my wheels that I wouldn't mind trying to sort myself. Not too bothered though so not really willing to fork out for a bodyshop to sort them.

I just left it on my old one. Guess some black touch up paint would do the trick as wouldn't be that noticeable once you pop the plastic bolt covers back on.
NOW - 330e M Sport