Author Topic: Adi's mk3 wannabe mk2 GL + GTI daily :)  (Read 17474 times)

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
Re: Adi's PB powered mk2 golf GL *TAKE 2*
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2012, 12:17 »
Fly eyes rock. In fact I think yours needs it too. I borrowed a cone off my boss. He's a cock and I dislike him, but he's sometimes useful  :grin:

When I do the other side CV joint (in the near future) I won't need a cone, because I'l do it the right way around! Probably.

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2012, 12:22 »
Yeah I'm contemplating them tbh. What they liketo fit?
My glass is more rounded than yours and I suck at sticky things lol

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2012, 17:03 »
I simply can't recommend them enough. And even if you hate it, its so cheap its no great loss. I think you'd need a bit more than I ordered, but mine was only £5.60 I think delivered. I was half asleep when I applied mine and it took me literally 10mins to do. I didn't get the darkest black either, I reckon you should go for "black 1" for the murdered look  :cool:

It comes with some funky coating on it to make it extra plyable (if thats a word), but they say you have to apply it within 48 hours of recieving it otherwise the coating is no good and to acheive strong curves a heat gun will be required. I've still got a few off cuts left that your welcome to play with, probably enough to nearly cover a headlight in bits so you can get a preview of how it'l look. You can also screw it up into a ball, warm it up and it'l return to its original shape  :smiley:

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2012, 17:26 »
That does sound pretty damn good stuff.
I think I'd prefer the same as yours as I have a light tint on my fogs and indicators.
I wonder how easy the mk3 rears are to do as I've always wanted a bit darker tint on the rears.
Wouldnt mind a play with that bit you have left will grab it as soon as I'm with car again.

Have you noticed much drop in light from them?do they scratch easy? You know how anal I am about scratches lol

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2012, 22:28 »
I wouldn't have thought it does scratch easy no, it does feel nice to feel though! I reckon your back lights would look good with the indicators done red, you can get it in loads of different colours. I do think you may have to warm it up on the back lights, but it does stretch a bit too

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2012, 19:14 »
OK so a small update, just spunked about 100squids on all new brakes. Went on the direct gov site and checked the MOT history, and was a little bit annoyed to find it had an advisory last year on pitted/rusty/worn discs/pads all round, and they haven't been changed since, bare in mind the MOT is due in about a month! So here is my collection fresh from ebay...

So I need to get these on and bedded in nicely before the MOT. Could also do with selling this before spending anymore on it, due to epic skintness thanks to working tax saying I work too many hours (thanks for that david cameron you prick)...

Next update will probably be next month after the MOT, depending on whether its good news or not...

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2012, 19:20 »
If i had the space i would have that back off you!

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 08 June 2012, 19:23 »
If I had the money and david cameron wasn't such a bell end I'd be riding it!

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2012, 15:26 »
Bit of a premature update. I've almost lost mojo with this and almost considered just buying a cheap driver shell and breaking this, but I'm soldiering on. As soon as I got the car in the air I discovered this...

Yes thats a very rotten subframe, right next to a wishbone mount. Very safe. NOT.
So I carried on and started on the rear brakes. 1st one was the drivers side rear, which I was already aware of it having a stuck handbrake that didn't work. 1st disaster was me trying to wind the bearing into the disc with the hub nut. Bad idea. I stripped a few threads off the nut. Poo. Luckily I managed to bash the bearing in with a hammer and socket, and there was enough thread left on the nut to tighten it to my satisfaction, plus theres the split pin for good measure, so I'm just about happy with that. So onto the other side. I lost my 8mm allen key socket, so removed the other side carrier with a torx bit which was ok, but the passenger side didn't appreciate this. And rounded them off. Double poo. So I moved onto the fronts which went smoothly, apart from ebay sent me the fat pads for solid disc equipped cars, so the pads don't fit. I stuck the new discs on with the just about usable old pads until I get hold of the correct ones next week.

Anyways back to the stuck off handbrake on one rear caliper. I managed to sort of free it off, but it now works but sticks on and won't return. I've moved the return spring round a bit to no avail. Poo again. So a new caliper will be required. As I've left it I now have new discs on front with old pads, and one new rear disc and pads. Not ideal, but its drivable again until I can sort it all out ready for the MOT.

Have some useless pics of my rear brakes.

Thats the old passenger side rear, with the dead carrier bolts.

And thats the new rear set up with the none working handbrake.

Now I'm off to sulk/kick the crap out of my car.

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2012, 19:41 »
Not really high on the priorities right now but I fitted a GTI splitter because I got sick of ripping the bumper off on kerbs in car parks, and I got stickers that only people in the know will understand :)