Author Topic: Asho gti - 20vt project  (Read 6224 times)

Offline Asho gti

• Not said much yet
Asho gti - 20vt project
« on: 01 January 2012, 14:48 »
hi im new to the site and just thought i would share my project with u guys.

it started life as 1.8 8v big bumper 5 door gti, id had it a few months and had always intended on putting a 20vt so the work began.

i replaced the lump with an aug big port 1.8 20vt out of a mk4 golf in it. the engine management is running off a megasquirt v3 system and a k03s turbo and remapped it to 220bhp 240lbs torque.

i have just bought my own garage and have decided  that i want to make an absolutely stunning example of the golf so im on the hunt for a 3 door mk2 shell or complete car in fairly good condition which i can hope fully make a good car out of the two of them.

here's a few pics of how she is at the

as you can see it doesnt look to bad there but i soon got bored of the looks and invested in a set of borbet a's 16" 9j rears and 16" 7.5j fronts
some fk dampening adjustable coilovers and a set of g60 arches and a de badged grill and light spoiler. (not 100% on the grill might keep it original )

well as soon as i fitted the wheels the problems began. due to the width of the rears i  had to chop as much as the arch out as possible and then re weld all the inner arch skins together this has been done now but just needs some paint work doing. heres a few pics . its not sitting on the coilovers in these pics, i will post pics up soon of it on them it sits very low and looks sweet but will soon be getting raised .

dont worry the nasty bolts in the arches were only a temporary measure and have been replaced with some g60's arches pics will be posted soon.

the home made front pipe on the car has just started to blow from the flexi joint i installed. i was inteding on fitting a k04s set up on it and using a qpeng stainless down pipe that u can buy for the conversion, so ive just won the hole k04 set up on flea bay and now need to purchase the exhaust.

im thinking of taking the beast of the road so i can swap all bits into a 3 door so if any one knows of one please get in touch.

Righto decided not to swap in to a 3 door but have taken off the road to make it into a minter.

Ive removed the rear axle, hubs brakes etc. sanded them down and repainted, just waiting for poly bushes for rear axle, brake pads and discs and new wheel bearings. I'm replacing the metal and flexi brake lines aswell. also did some arch work to make 9js fit with out rubbing! Cut out arches and welded the inner skins together.

Pics to follow

Right made some good progress tonight!

Wire brushed, sanded and Primed then gave the rear axle 3 coats of satten hamerite spray paint, looks good.

Ordered new poly bushes, genuine rear disc back Plates, rear pads, discs and wheel bearings.

Removed fuel tank, lines and pump and filter system.

Just need to remove a couple more things and then it's ready for a full jet wash and clean up underneath.
Once thats all completed it will be getting a full inspection for the dreaded rot, any found will be cut out and new plates welded and smothed in.

It will be then fully wax oiled and then re stone chipped / shultzed underneath! 
Pics to follow

More progress made with her.

I found a fair amount of rot but all is well and have spent many nights this week cutting it out and welding her up here's a few pics of the corrosion and i will post some of the repairs

I've taken great care in cutting it out so it repaired properly not under sealed over to hide it!

Pics to follow

Right not been on for a while but here we go!!

I cut back all the dreaded rot wax oiled behind it and then welded her back up, seam sealed all the welds and then stone chipped her. I'd stripped all the petrol tank axles etc off before I stone chipped to make sure no bits were missed, I want her to last a while :)

I then cleaned the 20 years of crud off the petrol tank, poly bushed the rear axle and made and fitted all new brake lines . And fitted it all back up.

, I have all new rear flexi brake lines coming, disc pads and wheel bearings and some brand new genuine rear disc back plates :)

Will update more pics soon

« Last Edit: 13 February 2012, 22:49 by Asho gti »

Offline Asho gti

• Not said much yet
Re: Asho gti - 20vt project
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2012, 12:25 »

Engine strip down next