Author Topic: Ant's budget MK2  (Read 6096 times)

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
Re: Ant's budget MK2
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2010, 11:17 »
Here is a pic of the hole.

I've had a go at the main body of rust on the floorpan too, and although it's mostly solid, it has pitted in a couple of places.

1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2010, 18:56 »
Okay, made some progess with this...

Got the headlining brought over, so I've fitted that. It's not mint, but it's decent, and no drooping at the back which is good.

I've laid the carpets down again now everything's dry. Still not got the holes welded - I'm going to book the MOT at a garage that does welding too, with the idea that I can drive to the MOT centre for the MOT, and get them to weld the floorpan while it's there. Still, that's some way in the future yet...

Other option is to get a generator and MIG welder, and do it myself, but that may be costly.

I suspect the water came in through three places - the blower motor cover in the scuttle panel, the sunroof seal, and the door membrames. Surely if I get all of those fixed properly, the leaks will stop?!?
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2010, 18:59 »

Got the headlining brought over, so I've fitted that. It's not mint, but it's decent, and no drooping at the back which is good.

I've laid the carpets down again now everything's dry. Still not got the holes welded - I'm going to book the MOT at a garage that does welding too, with the idea that I can drive to the MOT centre for the MOT, and get them to weld the floorpan while it's there. Still, that's some way in the future yet...

Other option is to get a generator and MIG welder, and do it myself, but that may be costly.

I suspect the water came in through three places - the blower motor cover in the scuttle panel, the sunroof seal, and the door membrames. Surely if I get all of those fixed properly, the leaks will stop?!?

good luck sorting the leaks, mine leaked behind the fusebox and onto the drivers footwell. it was coming in through a hole in the scuttle panel next to the ECU  :laugh: all sealed up now though

i've fitted the central locking pin from that fuel flap you sent, it was stuck on with sealant/sticky foam, so no dramas removing it. it works a treat!  :smiley:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2010, 19:07 »
Sweet car I wish I had kept my 87 shell but no front footwells or rear arxhes and a few other. I didn't have time or money to sort it out. I regret it now. :(
Keep up the good work mate. :D

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2010, 21:39 »
Tony liquid metal and a bit of metal gauze will sort that!
Good progress mate!  :smiley:
Jay

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2010, 21:58 »

good luck sorting the leaks, mine leaked behind the fusebox and onto the drivers footwell. it was coming in through a hole in the scuttle panel next to the ECU  :laugh: all sealed up now though

i've fitted the central locking pin from that fuel flap you sent, it was stuck on with sealant/sticky foam, so no dramas removing it. it works a treat!  :smiley:

Good going Ant.... good luck with MOT......

@ Chris

I thought only MK1's did that! ... it still would if i didn't have a cover!  :lipsrsealed:

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 03 November 2010, 12:55 »

Curiously I have an ECU cradle and no ECU (not that I would expect an ECU as it's k-jet, but why is the cradle there??!)

Sweet car I wish I had kept my 87 shell but no front footwells or rear arxhes and a few other. I didn't have time or money to sort it out. I regret it now. :(
Keep up the good work mate. :D

Saw a thread on Club GTI with photos of the first GTI International in 1988.. row after row of mint MK2 Golf GTI series 1 cars with the front quarterlights. One word: inspired.

Tony liquid metal and a bit of metal gauze will sort that!
Good progress mate!  :smiley:
Jay

What's involved with this? Does it last? I really want to do it properly, but may need to get it on the road first.

Good going Ant.... good luck with MOT......

Think the MOT is still some way off yet... may wait until next Spring, but it really depends how it goes. I still haven't managed to find any Atlas Grey panels yet  :sad:
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2010, 13:45 »
This is what I did I had a drain hole started to rust about the size of yours bought some liquid metal for about £6 then some metal gauze or any metal weave cut the gauze into the same shape but a little bit bigger. The opened the skin around the whole as the floor is a few levels thick and the rust had pratically opened it up nicely on mine. Cut out any loose bit of rusted metal, dremel sand back any thing left that resembles rust. Hammer any metal flat before treating it with some crust rust or any good anti rust treatment. Then fit the gauze into the floor plan so it looks covered up and secure. Mix the liquid metal in usual sizes I used a whole tube just to be sure. Make sure you start spreading it evenly as you have more to sand off otherwise. Underneath the car it can look rough doesn't matter as the anti chip coats bellow match the rough texture.
On top just sand away until flat and spray quick two hours work you can leave it rough as sound proofing is on top and sand bags and underlay and carpet  :wink: As long as it stops the rust!!! :smiley: