Author Topic: Pressure Washer: What do you use  (Read 11540 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Pressure Washer: What do you use
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2016, 18:16 »
I have both a Karcher K2 (for car) and a K4 (for home duties) I bought the K2 solely for car use as it is less cumbersome that the K4.  It does the job perfectly adequately.  However the K4 pressure is a little better and it has a dedicated pressure hose reel which keeps things need and tidy.  On the subject of hoses, I find the standard Karcher pressure hose (and by all accounts Nilfisk are just the same) to be a nightmare for twisting and kinking to the point where you can spent a more time unkinking them than it takes to wash the car!  So to remedy this last year, I bought a 15ft replacement pressure hose from Qwashers on eBay which is far superior being made of Heavy Duty rubber and being metal braided, which is far better then the nylon braided standard ones.  They come in varying lengths too. Never get any twists of kinks now.  Massive improvement.  Not cheap, but if you use the jet washer a lot then well worth thinking about investing in one.   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170856695088?euid=6fbcd6e09a4f44e48590d3014d14d009&cp=1

You shouldn't have any issue getting a snow foam lance to fit whichever pressure washer you buy, you just need to make sure you select the correct fitting when you purchase it.  I use a PA snow foam lance and it is still going strong and doing sterling duty after 4 years of regular service.  They also make the Autobrite lances too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170856695088?euid=6fbcd6e09a4f44e48590d3014d14d009&cp=1

Also, steer clear of the Karcher exension hose kit as this actually makes the standard short hose look like the least likely to kink hose in the world, so much so I'd rather do without the extension hose and carry the pressure washer around more.

Just realised I'm a saddo and have quoted my own post lol, but here goes anyway!

I see the links (now I'm at home and can access them) are for slightly different models to mine. I've got the one with the screw thread on the pressure washer (Karcher K2 compact). Does anyone know where they do that type?

Saddo.  :laugh:

For the replacement hose, I'm pretty sure you can get adaptors.  Best thing to do is phone up Qwashers and tell them exactly what type of fitting your jet washer has and they should be able to advise.  I know a couple people that have done that and they were able to get the correct fitting.  :smiley:  My K2 has screw thread but I just used an adaptor I already had.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2016, 06:50 »
Interesting......

I was unaware that you can get a replacement hose for the Karcher, but not made by them, is it s straight fit? I have a K4 ecologic which uses rainwater out of the water butt so I don't get the water marks from the tap (hard water area) plus is saves the environment a little (think the R offsets that but hey ho). :smiley:

Neil
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2016, 08:50 »
Interesting......

I was unaware that you can get a replacement hose for the Karcher, but not made by them, is it s straight fit? I have a K4 ecologic which uses rainwater out of the water butt so I don't get the water marks from the tap (hard water area) plus is saves the environment a little (think the R offsets that but hey ho). :smiley:

Neil

You need to check your connections on your Karcher but usually is a straight fit, but you can get connection adaptors if needs be.  The Qwashers hose is an enormous improvement over the standard karcher hose.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 20 December 2016, 10:48 »
Interesting......

I have a K4 ecologic Neil

I have the K4 Ecologic (and hate it because it's fiddly and clumsy) but the Qwashers hose fits fine and is far better that the original hose. It's a pretty straight push-and-click into the gun end, but at the hose-reel end you have to get things lined up and then rotate the end of the hose until the flats on the connector line up with the socket so that it clicks all the way in. Only then will you be able to re-fit the spring clip. It's tricky the first time but no problem once you've got the hang of it. However, the Qwashers hose won't roll up on the hose-reel. I've put a B&Q garage hook up on the wall above where I store the Karcher so I can hang the hose up when not in use.

Note that you should make sure the pressure is released when you finish with the washer. Mine was in the garage during a really cold spell recently, the water in the washer froze, expanded and blew out at least one of the internal seals resulting in more water on the floor that through the washer. It's currently away being fixed under warranty.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2017, 23:39 »
I've had a Nilfisk C120 for around 5 years, and apart from a split lance hose, it's been great.

One feature that I really like about it is how the lance and handle rotate, meaning you can change your angle of attack without contorting your wrist. I'd not really noticed this until I used my Dads Karcher and realised how cack handed it was.
... cheap and cheerful. Hose wraps up on mine. Not too powerful. Fine for car duties.

On the farm we had a Kew pressure washer. It blew a hole in my welly boot = wet foot. Not sure about using it on a car.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Jordan_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2017, 13:10 »
To mix it up a bit :P I use a Nilfisk, brilliant hardy little washer, All attachments are easy to find for the bayonet fitting too!
2002 Golf Gti 1.8T (AUM) LC9Z

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2017, 13:36 »
+1 for Nilfisk. I have one of the lower spec / cheaper Nilfisk pressure washers. Great little machine and well built (has a metal pump whereas Karcher use a plastic pump).

Powerful enough for most cleaning jobs; paths, patios fences and of course, the car - especially when used with an Auto Brite foam lance for snow foaming.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2017, 16:06 »
Bought this a couple weeks back.  The old K4 (years old) had started leaking and pulsing. I swapped my Qwashers 20mtr replacement hose over to it.  Used twice on car and cleaned while patio with it.  Does both very well.

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Last Edit: 02 September 2017, 18:51 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline spider62

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2017, 20:44 »
+1 for Nilfisk-as kalimon said they are heavy but very well built. Mine is the E145.3-10 Extra, great with the 10m hose and onboard storage for attachments.

https://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=13384

Also good service from Cleanstore.
GTI PP MK7,LSG,DCC,Winter Pack,Kenwood GNV-MIB1 + VCDS Mods