Author Topic: Golf Mk7 black plastic B pillar - how to stop scratch marks???  (Read 5849 times)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Hi guys,
On the Mk7 there is a black plastic panel between the front and back windows.

Ive been told this panel is very susceptible to scratch damage, even a money spider walking across it causes scratches it seems  :shocked:

Today I examined three new Mk7's (all awaiting handover) and all had horizontal and/or vertical scratches on one or both of these plastic panels.

So, now do I protect this panel from scratches?
And/or
Has anyone found a solution to this problem or complained to Germany about it?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 11 October 2016, 16:00 by Mike J »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Golf Mk7 plastic side panel - how to stop scratch marks???
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2016, 16:06 »
Mike - some corrective tips on a previous thread:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=278377.0

No idea on your other points, perhaps a clear wrap? Can't say I've noticed too many issues with mine, maybe I'm just not looking!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2016, 16:42 »
Hi guys,
On the Mk7 there is a black plastic panel between the front and back windows.

Ive been told this panel is very susceptible to scratch damage, even a money spider walking across it causes scratches it seems  :shocked:

Today I examined three new Mk7's (all awaiting handover) and all had horizontal and/or vertical scratches on one or both of these plastic panels.

So, now do I protect this panel from scratches?
And/or
Has anyone found a solution to this problem or complained to Germany about it?

Thanks in advance.

If you mean the black plastic B pillars, you won't stop them from scratching.  They are the most vulnerable part of the car for picking up swirls and scratches very easily (along with the black gloss plastic side inserts on the boot lid).  All you can do is protect them with a good sealant/wax and correct them once/twice a year with polishing, either by hand, or preferably by DA.  Watts has already linked to a thread with some guidance on correction.

You could put a clear wrap in to protect them, plenty on the market.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2016, 07:10 »
Black gloss trims are the bain of my life! As Bec says you'll never completely stop them marring. Just put plenty of protection on them and then machine them a couple of times a year.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2016, 19:56 »
Yes that right its the shinney black plastic B pillars.

So the bottom line is nothing can stop them scratching and the almighty VW conglomorate hasnt come up with a solution/changed them for something more durable.

Im wondering why anyone hasn't complained to Wolfsburg?

Cannot believe German buyers are to pleased about it either?

Very odd

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2016, 21:36 »
Can't see too much to complain about, as I said, I haven't had any obvious problems with them. The whole car is going to get marks on it from normal use, don't see those parts as any different.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2016, 16:18 »
Can't see too much to complain about, as I said, I haven't had any obvious problems with them. The whole car is going to get marks on it from normal use, don't see those parts as any different.

My 'problem' if it is a problem, is that Im going from never ever cleaning a car, to a post PDI pre-handover Full Detailing by a Top Professional, the car is even being delivered to the detailer by the dealer without anything being removed or cleaned (following Booth 11 advice).

My thinking is that if Im spending the best part of half a grand on making my new car look its very best why should I have to suffer what seem to be unavoidable scratches in the B pillars.

As for marks 'in normal use' I will not be cleaning the car at all, its something I just dont do.
Instead I have decided to return it to the detailer each time the clocks change for a complete 'wash and polish (or whatever) and as such I dont want to give him a problem (with these B pillars) if they can be avoided.

Just a thought;
The last car I fussed over was promptly written off by a Corsair that jumped the lights.
OMG 🤔

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Golf Mk7 black plastic B pillar - how to stop scratch marks???
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2016, 16:40 »
Blimey, amazed that a Corsair could muster enough momentum to write another car off :laugh:

If you intend to get you car to the detailer each time for a wash and polish then I can't see any bother with the plastic on the b-posts. You detailer will be able to maintain their finish easily enough.

Sounds like your new car is going to be looked after very well.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Golf Mk7 black plastic B pillar - how to stop scratch marks???
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2016, 20:22 »

My 'problem' if it is a problem, is that Im going from never ever cleaning a car, to a post PDI pre-handover Full Detailing by a Top Professional, the car is even being delivered to the detailer by the dealer without anything being removed or cleaned (following Booth 11 advice).

My thinking is that if Im spending the best part of half a grand on making my new car look its very best why should I have to suffer what seem to be unavoidable scratches in the B pillars.

As for marks 'in normal use' I will not be cleaning the car at all, its something I just dont do.
Instead I have decided to return it to the detailer each time the clocks change for a complete 'wash and polish (or whatever) and as such I dont want to give him a problem (with these B pillars) if they can be avoided.

Just a thought;
The last car I fussed over was promptly written off by a Corsair that jumped the lights.
OMG 🤔

If you are going to only have it cleaned and polished by the detailer when the clocks change then you have nothing to worry about on the B pillar front as the polish will take care of them.  In the meantime get used to having a dirty car for long periods in between. It might be largely devoid of swirls due to the initial detail and occasional follow up details but if you can't see it under the dirt then but of a waste of cash IMO. Takes the 'no touch' approach to the extreme. 
« Last Edit: 11 October 2016, 22:18 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2016, 17:17 »

So the bottom line is nothing can stop them scratching and the almighty VW conglomorate hasnt come up with a solution/changed them for something more durable.

My B7 Passat has a much more durable plastic trim that has more of a matt finish. After 5 years and 70k miles, there is not a mark, unlike my Golf.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.