Author Topic: New Golf - what is the best Dealers Autogleam or Top Proffesional or ???  (Read 5492 times)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
I will be collecting my new Mk7 in a months time and I declined the dealers £300 Auto Gleam finish when I placed the order.

My question is;
a) should I go for the dealers Autogleam
b) get it done privately immediatly after Ive collected the car. Hampshire based so recommendations please.
c) use another product -which is best?
d) do it myself
e) any other option

The car will be kept on my drive, annual mileage 4-5k, only washed a few times a year as I hate cleaning cars so I would prefer a finish that is robust AND final, say for a couple of years life at least.

I will be keeping the car for ten years.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
I will be collecting my new Mk7 in a months time and I declined the dealers £300 Auto Gleam finish when I placed the order.

My question is;
a) should I go for the dealers Autogleam
b) get it done privately immediatly after Ive collected the car. Hampshire based so recommendations please.
c) use another product -which is best?
d) do it myself
e) any other option

The car will be kept on my drive, annual mileage 4-5k, only washed a few times a year as I hate cleaning cars so I would prefer a finish that is robust AND final, say for a couple of years life at least.

I will be keeping the car for ten years.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, here's my take on your questions:

a) No. Avoid dealer protections at all costs. They will very likely swirl your paintwork applying it. They will charge you through the nose for it.  There's many many better products out there for a fraction of the cost. 

b) If you choose to get protection applied by a Pro dealer then they will offer a range of protection packages as part of a new car detail so there will be something to suit your budget.  These will make future maintenance of the car easier which for someone who hates cleaning their car is a massive plus.  I do my own details but am on other forums and Envy Detailing in Fareham is often recommended.  Additionally if you have it done as part of a new car detail then your car will be fully cleaned and decontaminated, machine polished and then protected so will be better than when you first pick it up.  Prices would be anywhere from £250 upwards to £1k depending on exactly what you opt for.

c) Even if you pick another product I still wouldn't let the dealer anywhere near it. Best to do this as part of pro detail or yourself.

d) Nothing to stop you doing it yourself.  Lots of products to choose from that are designed for non pro amateur application, though they still require a modicum of knowledge of preparation and car cleaning/detailing processes and depending on what product you choose some experience is preferable.  However, if you hate cleaning your car then suggests that you might not enjoy doing this yourself.  Preparation of the car is key so if you are not into this then perhaps not the right option for you.

e) If you have a mate whose into detailing and capable of doing it for you then that might be an option.

If considering a Professional detail, take a look on Detailing World and do a search for recommended detailers in your area  http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Hope this helps.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 11 September 2016, 14:40 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Do it yourself.
Follow Booth11's ( detailing moderator extraordinaire) excellent tips and you can't go far wrong.
It won't be cheap and it won't be easy, but it will be worth it :wink:
Whatever you choose to do, DON'T go the dealer Autogleam route :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
All the above plus don't let the dealer wash it for collection either. Get it dirty, warts and all, then straight to your preferred detailer or your dealer may let your detailer prepare it prior to collection, even better :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
All the above plus don't let the dealer wash it for collection either. Get it dirty, warts and all, then straight to your preferred detailer or your dealer may let your detailer prepare it prior to collection, even better :smiley:

If the OP decides on a pro detail, not the end of the world if the dealer does prep it as they detailer will sort any swirls out.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time

If the OP decides on a pro detail, not the end of the world if the dealer does prep it as they detailer will sort any swirls out.

True, but OP will be paying additional for the time to rectify those swirls and the nature of swirl removal means the car will have lost some clear coat unnecessarily!
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict

True, but OP will be paying additional for the time to rectify those swirls and the nature of swirl removal means the car will have lost some clear coat unnecessarily!

Fair point.  Definitely preferable to get the pro detailer to be the first to attend to the car.  Just meant that if by any chance it did get prepped by the dealer it is easily rectifiable and if going to a detailer anyway, it would be most likely be having a single stage polish anyway as part of new car detail - the extra loss of clearcoat if there is correction required would be negligible.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
I hear things about new paint/clear coat, needing a fair amount of time to fully harden.
Would it be sensible for the OP to wait a month before letting a pro detailer get his hands on it?
It couldn't do any harm I wouldn't think.
Just a thought and probably wrong as usual :rolleyes:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Can I thank everyone who provided advice to my thread.

I emailed one company I found online and have not received a reply yet so maybe tomorrow.

I've also emailed the Envy company recommended above.

Another couple of questions;
1) The car will have black leather interior and the VW dealer has told me the Autogleam pre-delivery would include an interior anti-stain treatment  :undecided: so should I include the seats etc in the initial detailing or will it be good to go from the factory?

2) Is it REALLY possible to produce a finish on a car bonnet that will cause a microfibre cloth to slide off?

Thanks guys, you have a great forum here.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Can I thank everyone who provided advice to my thread.

I emailed one company I found online and have not received a reply yet so maybe tomorrow.

I've also emailed the Envy company recommended above.

Another couple of questions;
1) The car will have black leather interior and the VW dealer has told me the Autogleam pre-delivery would include an interior anti-stain treatment  :undecided: so should I include the seats etc in the initial detailing or will it be good to go from the factory?

2) Is it REALLY possible to produce a finish on a car bonnet that will cause a microfibre cloth to slide off?

Thanks guys, you have a great forum here.

1) Forget the dealer pre-delivery treatment, get the detailer to do a leather protectant treatment whilst doing the exterior.  Or buy a bottle of this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/leather-care/gtechniq-l1-ab-anti-bacterial-leather-guard/prod_1093.html  and apply it to all your interior leather once/twice a year and it will protect from all manner of ills.  Easy to apply. But tbh it's a desirable thing but not essential - leather if fine from factory.

2) Yes it REALLY is possible.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2016, 21:56 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual