Author Topic: HOW TO: VDO GAUGES - UPDATED!  (Read 27558 times)

Judderi

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
VDO Gauges & oil temperature sender
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2010, 03:56 »
I have read all 3 of the guides on how to fit these items and have most of it covered... I'm fitting them to my 1991 8V GTi...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.combes2/Vdo.htm

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=46207.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13616.0

BUT I am a little confused about one item in particular.... Don't know if its me just being thick or what!!!

In the top of the oil filter mount there are two sensors the Temp sender and the oil pressure sender..

I have ordered the T piece and the Audi twin pole oil pressure sender!!

What I am confused about is why do I need to buy a new oil temperature sender if there is one already fitted in there, can't I re-use the one that's already fitted in the T Piece??

Next Dumb question is does anyone know the part number for the oil temperature sender so I can get one ordered from the stealers...

Where is the best place to put the T piece and which Sender fits into the top of the T piece so I don't have any issues with the oil pressure if it drops too low...

Thanks in advance, just want to make sure I get it right First Time.. and don't knacker anything by doing a bodge job!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: VDO Gauges & oil temperature sender
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2010, 23:40 »
Help anyone?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2010, 23:51 »
you need to buy the right oil sender to match the gauge, the mfa one is the wrong rating.  you only need a T piece if you want both the mfa and the vdo oil gauge to work, otherwise take the mfa sensor out and tape up the wire.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2010, 00:06 »
So can I just take out the MFA sender and screw the VDO twin unit straight into that hole on the oil filter housing....

Sorry Jonny for being so thick... but the three threads now have me confused..

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2010, 10:48 »
no the dual pole sender you swap for one of the existing oil pressure switches, which one depends on the spec of the dual pole sensor, some are rated for 0.3bar warnign switch, some for 1.8bar.
the mfa oil temp sensor you remove and replace for the vdo oil temp sensor :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2010, 15:06 »
Right I have been accumulating the parts required to get my VDO Gauges wired up...

This is a piccy of the parts I have;

In the Golf (8V) This is what my current set up looks like...

What I need to sort out in my own head is that I have got the correct parts... I have been confused about the oil temperature sender I did order the VW one at first which has the white cap, but after looking & reading John Coombes guide I asked the dealers to change it to the Audi version which is the 180c version, as I already have the white one fitted to the top of the Oil filter housing...

Next Dumb question is that am I correct in thinking that to fit the parts listed above I need to swap the small temp sender to the back hole and throw away the "Larger" of the two senders and replace it with the T piece with the new temp sender and the Audi Twin sender...

As for the wiring I assume that I connect two new wires from the VDO (Temp & Pressure) gauges to the Audi Twin Sender Unit and the Yellow and Green/Black back to the relative VW units...

Thanks

Ken.

Offline Steve_B

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2010, 16:14 »
Where you put the twin pole sensor depends on what spec it is, will see this on the hex nut part of the sensor. If it's 0.3 it goes on the head, if it's 1.8 it goes on top of the oil cooler. Replace the sensor with the audi one, the wire from the old sensor goes on 1 of the poles and the wire to pressure gauge goes on the other.

Where your green wire is leading to in your pic is the mfa temp sender. Put your t piece in there with the new temp sender in it.

There's a good guide in ben lessani's project thread, has a wiring diagram in there an stuff  :smiley:

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2010, 17:19 »
It says its a 0.3 on the face so I guess it fits in the head with the blue wire. Yes?

and then i would put the T piece into the hole with the yellow wired sensor and then put both sensors into the T piece??

Gauge instalation for Dummies Here... :shocked:

Thanks

Offline Steve_B

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2010, 18:35 »
No, the one with the green wire, it's the same shape as the new sender