Author Topic: homemade mk1 golf caddy (4motion 4wd /holset hx40 ,,turbo resto,56k warning  (Read 129902 times)

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time

hi all i know this is gunna be stress but id thought id share ,as i may need some advise on this buggar,as ive facied a caddy for a while and always liked the mk1 golf caddy shape ,it was only when i went and called in at a local farm and found a mk1 caddy been used with a forlk life for a gate post,,coverd in nice green mold,so after chatting with the farmer i bought it ,as its in a poorly state at mo due to been stood for 7 years ekkk:(,so i eveturly got it home ,with nice brakes burnt out ,and sized wheels ,,

plenty of holes and rot too,along with holly floors too

so after a 2hour wash ,i can see potentioal

and that horried back is going plus the old 1.6 diesal and gearbox is too
so next thing i thought i need a power house ,and thought id do some modifaction to get a nice mk3 vr6 in it ,

yes i know these dont fit by just bolting in more mods are needed ,
then thought it will make the front end heavy so thought ill buy a complete 2001 mk4 golf 4 motion rear axle  for some extra grip

asi was only going to make it 2wd drive ,i thought id better make it 4wd so bought a nice 02m 6speed gearbox to fit to my 12v vr6 lump

then sorted a proshaft and some spare drives etc

then thought these engines are only 174ish bhp ,erm and id had the ecu chipped to 200bhp i still wasnt happy ...so i thought id buy a transfor box and turbo kit etc for my set up

then fitted my gearbox starter ,part turbo kit and 4wd transfor kit to the engine

,thought id basicly get all the runing gear sorted  saves hunting around at a later stage ,then i hit a small prob ,the rear golf axle is not only too wide but the ecu is called haldex and needs a controller to work ,this part from dealers called haldex ecu is 600..that just for this little box

and beteen 600 to 850 for a part to control the 50/50/50/100 all time 4wd system,so i thought chuff that ill make my own,after a bit of stress ive sorted the curcit ,stepper,and controller to make it work nice ,for either raceing or daily driveing,,
then dropped on some mk3 coil overs which im hopeing i can use mk1 top mounts,then shortern drives ,a arms quick pic here

just built the meqa squirt ecu up and cranked the engine and put a map on the ecu so it should run in theory lol,,,

and thats as far as ive got within 2 weeks im affraid but there will be plenty of burning welding filling .modifying to come,,,,

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
oh i dint know mk4 r32 drives bolt sraight up in mk3 hubs saved a little job

and slightly skimmed the inner alloys to dish ,so they nicely miss the rear calipars and rear dampers

all fits well

and some alloys ther will have to do with a quick refurb at a later stage

right guys due to priming the bug etc ,i thought id make a manifold for the caddy vr6 and heres how i did it ,,3hours all done ,im just unsure which way the thottle body is supose to be,,
bit of drawing first

then a bit of drilling

bit of grinding

welded bolts in place

cut some tube and welded some steel

end plate for thottle body

quick grind around

grind ed it up

job about done ,just a couple of pipes and thottle hanger

i hope theres enoegh pics for u ...:thumbs_up
unsure how close it will be to the front ,as i just gessed,,,

Offline monzablue16v

• I live here
Awesome :) watching this one :laugh:
« Last Edit: 24 February 2009, 00:55 by monzablue16v »

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
right this afternoon i had to go and see if it would fit bolt up and weld servo and fuel reg pipes on fit and looks ok for a first attempt

evern pipes fit o too

then thought we might as well that manifold will be hot so make a quick cover for it ,a bit of bling or somert like that

fits ok ,

be nice when im ready to mod the turbo too,,,may look a bit more like a engine lol

little update  not too mutch as im still filling the bug ,but i had a few hours spares so i noticed this pipe and im sure this is why i had a water problem ,

anyway i went and bought a r32 golf thermostat houseing so i cann select 5th and 6 gear due to the std vr6 themostat was in the way

these are the too houseings

then made some bolts

nice fit in the r32 houseing

notice the std vr6 and the r32 tube lengths

so houseing pipeing fitted and std vr6 sensors fit in the houseing too

decided i dinr want power steering so removed all that along with the aircon bracket ,so i can add somert at a later stadge to the engine

belt pulleys sorted

decided to use differnert type of ht leads

and polished rocker as well tidys things a little

its bloody strip down again ,stress,mind im glad it wasnt all fitted and this happernd on a test run..

problem a little end on one piston  and i need some more piston skimming too,,for more boost.and timing chain guid smashed
so made the flywheel fixed ,to make sure it will hold bhp

started building engine engine back up 2day ,as i thought chuff the head spacers ,get the lathe out and skim em lol

more engine build ,,,carnt wait to start the dam caddy lol

therd some bolts and bit of welding for the flange

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
Awesome :) watching this one :laugh:
lot more to follow hang on lol

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
bit more modifying done this after
had to make a head spacer needed the compression lower ,,

then its start chopping the rear axle to size

rewelded it up in place

then got a bit ampage on the go ,,i dont want these snapping off

axle shorternd

next antiroll bar needs shorterning so instead of choping welding ,i decided to heat and bend it

sorted
double checked measurement

just a mock up with the caddy tailgate ,and it should fit,,

made a return pipe ,had to weld it in 5 places to get it right

homemade headspacer ,chuff buying when u can make one

so carried on with may home head spacer lol

once the runing gear is sorted ,its caddy modifying time
hi all not to mutch happerning at the mo ,,,but ive a little update ,a small change in plans lol ,im not going to use a old mk3 vr6 turbo ,that ill go on ebay ,ive decided to try attempt fit a later mk4 4motion 24valve engine and turbo that instead ,so started again as im more happy with this idea so heres what i bought,as i couldnt leave it right bargin..

head off all valves re seated and skimmed

ill be makeing another turbo manifold,inlet manifold,etc

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
starterd on the manifold 2night had to do somert

think it may work..
injectors arrived 2day
erm lots of fuel useage lol

thats the manifold turbo about sorted,
next time to start and make another dam inlet manifold,,,lol
once thats something like useable i want to get the buggar runing on the floor make sure we have boost lmao

COUPLE OF MODS THIS AFTER  sorted oil feed and couple up,remove old cam sensors ,ill not need them made a plate ,
fitted coil pack
next i need to get the ecu sorted and wireing

IM CHUFFED HOW TURBO IS SAT ,NOT TOO HIGH  so bonnet should shut in theroy lol

modifyed some nice decent size cc injectors ,

intake manifold to make next ...
and a few tuning bits arrived too,,

also added lunch control for tracks and a stand alone rev counter
bit of work started on the caddy this after rip the rear hood off ,ripped the oil 1.6 oil burner and box out exahust off ,gearlinkage out
pedal box out,found a few more rottern parts eg rear floor,rear roof,bits on inner wings ,

few mock up pics of were ill roughly fit it

as u can see fitting this isnt going to be hard at all ,
bit of cutting choping here and there and that bit ill be mounted ,
then ill mod the power steering as well,
rip the tunnel out ,fit another ,algine prop ,and adapt tthe rear axle ,,
everthing ive thought off so far isnt no were near as bad as first thought,

bit more done on the mk4 turbo lump too,,,
oil return sorted and a start on the inlet manifold this afternoon

home made oil pipe,every little bit comes in

removed sumps as the early steel one fits and is cheeper to replace if i hit a hump lol

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
engine comeing along nicely now ,,,

soon be ,,caddy moding time ...carnt wait ,,,lol like a kid in a sweet shop
had a spare hour 2day so modifyed the from wheels,suspension, couldnt see point of useing mk4 subframe after some further thing,wishbones,to fit 5stud ,not my ideal choice of alloy but they will have to do at mo , ,least the big discs should stop a little better then the std 4stud jobys

sorted another homemade mody ,fit central and pimped lmao

trail fit the engine 2day ,as i reckon it will fit fine ,evern with the 6speed as i thought i was going to butcher the inner wings out ,,some things will be a bit tight but i aint going to worry about them ,,my home made turbo fitsand has lots of room ,still ill have re locat the extrenal wastegate

ITS DEFO SLAMMED THE FRONT NOW LOL

bit more this after
steering rack off

more tinkering  to get prop in

bit of driveshaft shorting

just made a start on the short runner

bit of bending here and there ,and it will fit ,

i reckon ill get a radiator and fan thown in there
may have to find another place for the intercooler
few more bits done and started 2day

welded pipes on short runner

,i need to angle it more ,ill sort this no probs

trail fit of the propshaft
those garden bricks come handy lol

riped the old rear axle off, and oh dear dam std golf is short as well ,what a suprize

then thought ill trail fit the rear 4motion axle ,and yes,,more stress ,i shorted it too mutch ,as i only tuck a outside measurement of the tyres ,forgot about the thickness ,,lol

as u see from the rear wheel,looks ok thow ,so recut and welded a bit more on ,
seems better

looks more like a skatbord then a caddy lol

just riped carpets out ,to fit the clutch pedal

looking as well as the propshaft will be up in the tunnel ,may have to partly mount the gear selector on the top
just a quick homemade engine mount be ok with some weld and strenghers on it , so i can slighty higher the prop  for a few more mm to rise the sump lol

havent got mutch time at mo guys sorry
decided to beef it up a little more

well that ill do for that engine mount mount lol

next 6spd linkage needs to be started as
i mounted the propshaft right up in the tunnel
so remote will be welded best i can ,and i chop the cables to shortern them later,trail fit

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
just started on mounting the rear diff and axle

prop too short lol  so ill soon sort that little joby out,,

not mutch to add untill i sort some steel 2moz ,,
started to weld nuts in for rear mounts and decided i wont it lower ,stress lol ,ill re sort this 2moz

only had a a bit of time as it were getting dark so made a quick restart on the short runner ,had to angle the box for the air flow ,which one day may be runing

and found a stronger coilpack pack for better spark gaps 40,ooo ,instead of my 10,ooo one ,rough idea of how it will be wired lol

quick zip around for intake holes

propshaft in

bit of welding just mount the axle

thought best beef the front up more ,we dont wont it dropping off now do we lol

bolted up

ive made this basic frame ,so i can move the rear axle in place were i need to weld ,so it will be sat approx 2.5 backwards shown in pic ,,then ill cut the prop to exstend it ,due to it been to short ,and be sorted  afterwards
diff just about bolted up

had to cut the track arms and a trail fit to get the rear wheel straight

then trail fit the wheel as u can see its not central this is because the propshaft too too short at the mo ,

then u can see the main rear hub mount is hitting the inner sill ,a bit of chopping welding here and there ill sort that

got a dam grinding lump in eye this after lol so that knackerd progress up 2day
but managed to weld the rear track control arms up and fit them

so might as well fit the clutch pedal assemby 2moz
right thats the tempory fit of the axle to keep it held in place while i algine a few more bits

started on the rear arm mounting this after

ive a few more strenghing bits in side the mount to add before i start welding,,,
more welding up this after

then started on the spring mount

then stress happernd ,due to wear i amounted the rear subframe i carnt lower the dam wheel enoegh ,grr ,ill have to do some chopping 2moz make the buggar a bit lower

bit more modifying 2day,,
made a rear damper mount ,,,
and saved on buying new dampers just just the oringle mk4 ones at a similar angle

lets say that buggars isnt moveing any were soon

damper angle ,gas dampers so should work well,,

slightly got the wheel down a fraction ,as i had to allow for cv movement as well as spring and arm movement,,

and fitted a mk4 passat hydrolic pedal for the clutch to work

and ive decied evern thow ive made the rear arms im going to use smaller box ,so then ill have a little more clearance between the spring and arm and also the rear subframe,,

Offline adaptorman

• Here all the time
how cold wa it this after ,,thought chuff it lol
managed to do a bit more on the rear bad pic but its a inch lower lol ,but im now thinking wheather to thow some 18s on it ,,what do u think..

ill have to fit the head spacer/gasket and some nice copper sealer too

add to sort the ecu as the buggar needed 3 spark outputs and nice lauch control lol

only had a hour free,this isnt the best of pic ,but it the inner side off the pedle as this bit of weld usely breaks from factory ,so beefed it up ,,saves having to buy a new slave at 120/vat lol

then quickly drillede and bolted in place

hit a small prob on the bulk head ,,nothing major ,so nipped a bit out ,as i wanted the hydrolic pipe in the rail,,

job done ill sort a fluid bottle later ...

just warmed the bendy steel pipe ,and bent it straight,,,you can just see

thats what i call spot on ,,,,so lets see how true my idea with angle iron
too short videos,,
first the angle test
View My Video
then on the car
View My Video
next thought due to getting a nice shock of the welder lol
thought ,
chuff the welding due it raining all day
so thought ill sort the clyinder head out
rocker removed

head removed and cleaned etc

checked all bores etc and cleaned plus decoked pistons ,

some nice copper spray to seal everything on the block

then split the std  3 layer gasket use the down part first

then another coat of spray and fit the head spacer to lower compression

another quick coat of spray fit the top part of the gasket as the middles not used  and bingo job done ,
and did a final check of the timing as i dont want valve nicely wacking pistons etc lol

final pic of the head spacer ,somert else out of the way lol

started on other side 2day

INNER REAR WHEEL ARCH ALL WELDED UP

THATS THE MOUNT SORTED lol