Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362480 times)

Offline Kickers

• Just got here
Hi all

New to the site and believe I've had the timing chain tensioner failure! 09 reg 58k on the click

Vw originally offered £5500 for repair and after much discussion with vw uk this is now down to me paying £1100 and vw the rest for a new engine.

Question is should I accept this or am I likely to get any more? What is everyone else's experience?

Offline goodeye

• Just got here
Mine was bought private in fact I am the 3rd owner and was about 1.5 years out of warranty!

It did however have a full VW service history and I had the servicing done at the garage that repaired it post failure.

Great!!! Thanks Jimmgc51 this is exactly what I was looking for and you got a deal that I would gladly take any day

Now I just need to convince them that the 1st service that was done in a Skoda dealership has completely irrelevant

Think I'll need all the luck in the world

Offline Kickers

• Just got here
Don't forget skoda is technically a vw company so would have been serviced to the same standard.

Offline Poached

• I live here
Mine was bought private in fact I am the 3rd owner and was about 1.5 years out of warranty!

It did however have a full VW service history and I had the servicing done at the garage that repaired it post failure.

Great!!! Thanks Jimmgc51 this is exactly what I was looking for and you got a deal that I would gladly take any day

Now I just need to convince them that the 1st service that was done in a Skoda dealership has completely irrelevant

It's not ideal but it was serviced within VAG so it shouldn't matter because of a technicality but I'm not surprised they try it on. I would consider legal advice if I was faced with that bill for a design fault and they came back with that answer.

The dealership don't care and are allowed to profiteer from this. They will do whatever they can get away with to hit their figures for the month. Keep us updated.

Offline goodeye

• Just got here

It's not ideal but it was serviced within VAG so it shouldn't matter because of a technicality but I'm not surprised they try it on. I would consider legal advice if I was faced with that bill for a design fault and they came back with that answer.

The dealership don't care and are allowed to profiteer from this. They will do whatever they can get away with to hit their figures for the month. Keep us updated.

VWCS called me yesterday after I wrote them a very long and detailed email including the VW technical bulletin about this issue (TB 15-12-01) and telling them that if the VW garage, where I serviced the car last June, had told me that I could replace the parts and avoid this huge damage I would've done it. No brainer

Their reply is still a big fat 0 !!!! throwing all the cost on me

I'm planning my next moves and thinking of going to citizen advice bureau but I'm not sure what else I can do....

Is there anyone else on this forum that got this kind of treatment or ended up having to pay for the repair? From reading through the forum it seems like everybody got a new engine FOC and just had to pay some percentage of the labour

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Can people who have had the work carried out confirm what part number their chain was:

mine was 06H-109-158-AA. But im sure there has been some newer revision but i cant seem to find out if they are for MK6 GTI.

Google shows: 06H-109-158-AD, 06H-109-158-H, 06H-109-158-M
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline B_roi89

• Just got here
Goodeye - my 09 plate failed just before xmas. Two months of arguing with VW dealership and customer services and end result is £0 contribution..

I have a full VW service history but was told I showed no brand loyalty as it was serviced in different VW dealerships in different cities....

Some very kind people on here sent me their case reference numbers where they had 100% contribution but the response was that they couldn't discuss other cases due to confidentiality.

I fully appreciate they have no legal obligation to contribute to repairs as i am out of warranty - but this is a recognised problem and some sort of legal precedent must have been set by upgrading the part, releasing a tsb, and contributing to other's repairs?!

I feel so let down by VW Heritage Bristol. They are completely understaffed following a large proportion of their staff leaving before xmas.. (i wonder if they had dodgy golfs?).. They haven't even been able to provide me with a quote for the cost of repairs - do they not want the work???

I was out in the market for a new car and seriously considering a new GTD - I guess it's their loss as i'll never buy a VW again. It seems like a rather short sighted decision from them. At least a £500 would show some compassion on their behalf.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Maybe contact the magazines and TV,  Autoexpress, Autocar, watchdog etc.

If  anyone here has some spare time on there hands and can list the new cases not listed on the original post so rocketrossuk or myself or  a moderator can update the original post that would be a lot of help to others.
Last update of the original thread was 23 may 2014
« Last Edit: 22 February 2015, 12:35 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
I feel like broken recordi this thread but....

CONTACT YOUR LOCAL TRADING STANDARDS

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
Mines a 2011, with 35k on the clock. I keep listening every now and again for the rattle.  :sad:   Its a pain in the ass thinking one day it might go   :cry: 
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH