Author Topic: Alburglar's mk4 Gti bargain (albeit an 8valve).  (Read 13304 times)

Offline alburglar

• Just got here
Alburglar's mk4 Gti bargain (albeit an 8valve).
« on: 15 October 2015, 19:56 »
Hi,
 I've been a member for a while, from when I was looking to buy a v5 4motion, but it never happened. Just by chance heard a mate was selling a cheap mk3 golf GTI to replace a tired mk3 I have. But when I got there it was a mk4 GTI 2.0 8valve (AQY engine). A car I would have never considered. But it was Lowered, (painted black) VW Bora alloys (205/55r16), and he'd put a new cambelt and waterpump and 2 new tyres. At £600 it was a bargain so I bought it.
I know everyone hates an 8 valve, but I helped a friend of mine put a cam'd (piper 285 and adjustable pulley) ported mk4 8v crossflow head (ABA canadian import) with a big throttle body (vr6 obd1) on a 2E mk3 8valve bottom end (2 litre) and it made 150bhp after cc'd for high compression, so if I do get bored, I know there is a good chunk of power to be had out of head work on the 2litre lump. Seeing as the bottom end and head are the same.
Lets face it 114 bhp @ 5,200 rpm is shocking bhp for a 2litre lump but 170nm (125 lbf·ft) @ 2,600 rpm isn't a bad starting point, torque wise.

« Last Edit: 06 November 2015, 09:31 by alburglar »

Offline alburglar

• Just got here
Re: Alburglar's mk4 Gti bargain (albeit an 8valve).
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2015, 20:01 »
I've just been doing little bits to it, like new interior light (broken) and seat tilt handles (both missing). But I already hate the dual mass flywheel. It feels almost like clutch is slipping and does note promote spirited driving, so that will be on the list of things to get rid of. Clutch pedal has really high bite, which seems to be a common mk4 gripe too. Hopefully a single mass flywheel will sort both issues out.

Offline alburglar

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2015, 20:22 »
Clutch / Dual Mass flywheel is on the way out,
So Just bought a lightened balanced G60 one piece solid flywheel, a balanced Heavy duty VR6 clutch pressure plate, balanced Carbon Kevlar lined VR6 clutch driven plate ( yes I realise that is overkill, but it came with the kit), new vr6 Clutch release bearing, New set of flywheel retaining bolts and New set of clutch retaining bolts.

With every part of it balanced, If that thing judders/chatters I'll be very surprised, but we'll see.

Offline alburglar

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2015, 21:10 »
I also had a good look round the underside on a ramp today, to investigate a water leak (from bottom of rad) and an oil leak (from somewhere high up on the rear of the engine), and a metallic rattle from somewhere (couldnt Identify it). But what I did find was the car has an FK automotive lowering kit (springs and dampers type) so is probably dropped 55/40.

Offline alburglar

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2015, 17:51 »