Author Topic: turbo lag in 3rd and 4th  (Read 2169 times)

Offline gavsgti

• Not said much yet
turbo lag in 3rd and 4th
« on: 24 March 2015, 19:04 »
hi there having proberlems with the boost on my agu 1.8t

it seems to boost fine in 1st but when i go 3rd and 4th it seems to boost then it seems to drop then pick up again bit like when a clutch is slipping? this also happens in second but not that often
ive changed the air filter and put a after market dump valve could t maybe that it needs remapping to set it up for these or maybe i have put the wrong spring in
the car was supposedly remapped before i bought the car but have no proof of this it was just what the previous owner had told me
i am going to get it remapped again  when i get chance to fit fmic, exhaust with sports cat which ive bought but need to find a back box so would this maybe cure the proberlem?
sorry if this has been posted before but ive searched on the search bar and couldnt find any answers
thanks in advance
gav

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
Re: turbo lag in 3rd and 4th
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2015, 16:30 »
Swap to a oem divertor if you can to rule the dump valve out.

My mate has an aum and pretty much does the same thing, but this due to the a leak in the brake booster that he refuses to fix. Worth checking for vac leaks whilst your at it.

Offline mikej20vt

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2015, 21:11 »
My AUM was doing this mate in all gears but I had a Bailey's dump valve on from the previous owner. I've now put it back to the original diverter valve & it feels so much better & a hell of a lot more responsive.

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2015, 20:50 »
I recall a dodgy engine speed / crank sensor can do this.

Build thread clicky

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2015, 12:44 »

the most common thing for this going is the engine stalling when it gets to temp, its happened to mine before lol
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2015, 12:47 »
If you want to check if the clutch is slipping come to a stop, put it in 2nd and then completely lift your foot off the clutch, if its ok it'll cut out if not the clutch is slipping. (leave yourself a good 5 metres in front just in case  :laugh:)

You can also approach a hill doing around 30mph, put it in 5th and then floor it, you'll know if it slips...
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2015, 18:24 »

the most common thing for this going is the engine stalling when it gets to temp, its happened to mine before lol

Agreed but mine threw a fault code for the sensor, changed it and fixed bad flat spot it had when booting it. Easy fix too.

Build thread clicky

Offline Tezmax

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2015, 18:34 »
I would say 95% vac leak.

Check ur pipes and connectors...then check them again :smiley:

N249 valve delete can help remove degrading pipe work.

1.8t Aum. forge 007p. 17" bbs. R-tech stage 1 map.205/235. catch can.

Offline viperjsy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2015, 20:42 »
he has an agu so dose not have N249 valve delete