Author Topic: Golf R Spied ....  (Read 8152 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Golf R Spied ....
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2020, 13:07 »
Zoom in and it's obviously wearing lots of blue tape which covers up the black accents/shapes, so it may look a bit better in the finished product.

Having said that, I didn't think VW could make the R look any more dull & bland than they did with the 7/7.5, but they appear to have succeeded...

:huh:

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2020, 14:56 »
Having said that, I didn't think VW could make the R look any more dull & bland than they did with the 7/7.5, but they appear to have succeeded...

Its a design goal. R's have never looked like a "type R". Its always lower key than a GTI.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2020, 16:30 »
A similar article from Autocar

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2020-volkswagen-golf-r-best-look-yet-329bhp-hot-hatch

I wasn't that impressed with the looks of the R, then I saw their article and pics of the new T Roc cabriolet! :)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2020, 16:48 »
A similar article from Autocar

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2020-volkswagen-golf-r-best-look-yet-329bhp-hot-hatch

I wasn't that impressed with the looks of the R, then I saw their article and pics of the new T Roc cabriolet! :)

The T-Roc cabriolet is a strange one. I thought VW had moved away from building lower volume, niche cars - hence why they killed off the Scirocco and Beetle. And then they build their version of Land Rover’s Evoque convertible.

It’s not cheap either - prices start at around £27.5k for the entry level model with a 1.0 litre 115ps engine.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2020, 17:17 »
Just been looking at the photos on Autocar of the Golf R. I love it that they say undisguised but as you said @kmpowell there are still bits of camouflage and tape all over the front and rear.

Good to see it in a good colour but I suspect when those blue diagonals are taken off the lower front of Golf will show a similar arrangement as the T Roc R so the main grill area will run the full width of the car. Not sure I’m going to like that.

I was looking at the side profile and the rear third seems to look a little stretched, so the proportions aren’t as neat as the mk7.

On the lower part of rear bumper there seems to be more camouflage.

I think it is still my top choice between it and a t-roc cabriolet. When they announced it I did think well at least VW still doing niche products there should be some other niche  models as well that I will like, but I’m not so sure. Autocar tested the cabrio the other week Andy their test car was about £40k with options.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2020, 17:23 »
Those diagnoal bits on the R grill are a real feature - see the VW picture of the Mk8 performance golfs, its definitely a real feature.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2020, 17:49 »

Its a design goal. R's have never looked like a "type R". Its always lower key than a GTI.
Nobody says it (or any Golf) should look like a Type R, but there is a middle ground, a look of subtle aggression which has been synonymous with R's. The R32 (MK4 and Mk5), R (MK6 and Mk7/7.5) were not "lower key" than their GTI counterparts. Take the GTI red stripe off the 7/7.5 and, as the GTD, shows, and the GTI is just as low key as the R. So what's changed? Well, quite simply put, the R-Line models. The GTi looks different to the R-Line model due to the red accents, but bar the 4 exhausts on the R, the styling is no longer 'different' enough, IMO, to be seen as aggressive and/or Halo. Look at the new Arteon R, it's vastly different to the R-Line version, but I'm struggling here to see much difference here, albeit as I mentioned there's still lots of blue tape covering up accent lines so we may see something different in the final production model.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2020, 18:22 »
Those diagnoal bits on the R grill are a real feature - see the VW picture of the Mk8 performance golfs, its definitely a real feature.

Its only a partial diagonal as per the picture of VW Mk8s.  The diagonal on the VW leaked image doesn't go to the top of bumper.  If you look closely at the spy photos of this blue one and white one at Nürburgring, at the top of the diagonal on the photos you can see fixings.  So on that basis I think its going to closely resemble T-Roc R lower bumper area.

So I think, the body coloured element will come up to the first horizontal or maybe second horizontal grill line but it won't come up to meet the bumper and bisect the full grill as the camouflage currently does.

2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Last Edit: 30 June 2020, 18:56 by AndyGTI »
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red