Author Topic: Leaking NSF shocker  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Leaking NSF shocker
« on: 04 September 2018, 23:53 »
Evening all.

Car went in for a service today and I mentioned that the suspension was making a creaking noise whilst maneuvering for example; reversing into a parking space, turning at low speed etc. Also it would make a strange noise when going over harsh bumps or poor, uneven road surfaces. The issue only started when I had my Eibach springs fitted by Awesome GTi less than 1000 miles ago.

Anyway, VW came back and confirmed they found the issue - a leaking shock on the front near side. I was quite surprised that at less than 3 years old and 45k motorway miles that it had failed. The thing that didn't surprise me was VW refusing to pay for the work doing under warranty as I had fitted aftermarket springs (highly unlikely to have caused the problem as I said, the noise was always there since fitting). Clearly just an excuse to avoid paying.

This isn't the first time I've had a poor experience with VW. On a previous visit to a different dealership I was left without a car for 2 days before they could get me a courtesy car and I was left with no choice but to pay for a taxi home from the dealer (which they were unwilling to pay for without a receipt). I'm kind of slowly losing faith in them, this is my first VW and could be my last.

Anyone any suggestions? Don't really know where to go from here... For VW to fit the part it's going to cost £406.

Do I replace the shock and hope the others don't fail?

Replace the shock and put standard springs back on?

Go down the aftermarket route and lose the DCC?

HELP!

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Leaking NSF shocker
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2018, 06:00 »
There is a good chance there is nothing wrong with the shock absorber. Sometimes dealers do a poor job at diagnosing a light misting/lubrication of the shock as a leaking one. Can awesome not look at it since they fitted the springs?
« Last Edit: 05 September 2018, 06:03 by ajmoir36 »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2018, 06:48 »
If it is replaced I'd be replacing them in a pair too. I would also imagine every other manufacturer taking the same stance on warranty work with non standard springs so it's not just a VW issue.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2018, 07:18 »
If it is replaced I'd be replacing them in a pair too. I would also imagine every other manufacturer taking the same stance on warranty work with non standard springs so it's not just a VW issue.

^This.

I’d also never have an issue getting a receipt from a taxi driver; they’ve always been willing to provide one if I’ve needed to claim the cost back from an employer as part of a work expenses claim. IMO it’s not unreasonable for the dealer to ask for a receipt before reimbursing customer travel costs; they probably need receipts for such expenses for accounting and taxation purposes.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2018, 09:21 »
I'm not here to slate VW the taxi was just a small issue as part of a bigger problem and I've not been back to that dealer since.

The damper is definitely leaking as they sent a video of it to my email.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2018, 09:47 »
There's another issue regardless of your springs. The new car warranty from VW only covers shocks for 6 months or 6500 miles - https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/new-car/terms-and-conditions

mcmaddy and SRGTD both have a good point too about replacing in pairs, especially after 45000 miles. Whilst I sympathise about the courtesy car, I'm not sure they are obliged to provide one (they will only have so many and if they are all out then that's that) and tbh, I think they were being pretty good offering to pay for a taxi and it isn't unreasonable for them to want a receipt as they have to account for all expenditure.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2018, 14:30 »
I spoke with VW and asked if it would be advisable to change both dampers and apparently not. He said that used to be the case but not anymore.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2018, 14:52 »
Of course they will say that, it's saves them money. If you don't replace in pairs you'll have a brand new shock and a 45k mile one.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2018, 16:03 »
I wonder if mine have a problem as sometimes I can hear a slight knock over bumps :undecided:

MK7 GTi

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2018, 17:02 »
Could be dry suspension bushes.