Author Topic: airfield trackdays  (Read 3659 times)

Offline steble

• GTI forum regular
airfield trackdays
« on: 08 October 2011, 23:39 »
was at keevil airfield in my £320 8v golf which was an amazing amount of fun but i wouldn't do another one.

The surface really kills your car your tyres get completely shredded everyone there seemed to have worse than bald tyres way before the end of the day, and my brakes had also taken a pounding. probably something to do with the surface being so uneven making them work way harder than needed to stop the car. brand new discs and pads when i bought the car a month ago (granted prob as cheap as you can get) but they need replacing already.

Also wouldn't really recommend motorsport-events not the best track day i've been to organiser wise.

had a brilliant day on track though abusing my little run around :D oh yer and my back box fell off lol so half the day was without it :D

best bit was a catatrum owner coming up to us and asking what we done to it to make it so fast as we done to brg catarums lol must have been disappointed to discover it was a standard 8v golf lol 

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: airfield trackdays
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2011, 11:33 »
was a good day, but taking consumables into consideration proper circuits are cheaper!

i have a new found respect for mk3 8v's  :lipsrsealed: but then again nothing handles better than someone elses car  :grin:

Offline steble

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2011, 12:30 »
:lol:

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2011, 17:17 »
im looking into circuit track days for next year, wouldnt mind going mallory
If It Comes Off, Modify It!

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2011, 17:58 »
here's a vid from the day, the camera was playing silly buggers and turned itself off mid session I didn't crash into the nissan honest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdydK70hrMk

Offline steble

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2011, 19:57 »
awesome but you got a vid of no overtaking fail lol

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2011, 19:40 »
If you went through a set of tyres at Keevil then something is wrong. sh!t tyres, wrong pressures, wrong alignment. Same with your brakes, must be real cheap ones. Keevil is the roughest of the surfaces of their airfield circuits. Hulls intron is a good better surface and they have a free handling course as well if you like handbrake turns etc.

I like the airfield days because of the surface changes, makes a nice change from smooth Tarmac.

Motorsport events run a well organised day, the briefing takes too long and the open pit lane time starts too late in the morning for my liking. They can be a bit over cautious with their checking of wrist band etc but I would rather have them more safety conscious than not be bothered about my safety. We have done about 40 or 50 of their airfield days and never seen a serious accident yet, and never seen two cars crash into each other.

I wish I could afford to do a circuit track day every time but money dictates we have to do airfield days as well to keep the cost down.

Enjoy your track toy, buy secondhand wheels with tyres on to keep your costs down, get your alignment done and some oem brakes which should last longer than what you have on now.

Paul

I enjoy both circuit days and airfield days

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2011, 20:46 »
weres the nearest air field to kent or were can i find out

cheers

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2011, 22:24 »
If you went through a set of tyres at Keevil then something is wrong. sh!t tyres, wrong pressures, wrong alignment. Same with your brakes, must be real cheap ones. Keevil is the roughest of the surfaces of their airfield circuits.

:huh:
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline steble

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2011, 19:29 »
Not just us going through a set of tyres, as did everybody we're with. Nothing wrong with our aligent.  Almost every car on the circuit did a set of fronts, a lot of cars had to stop come 2pm. A lot of toyo's and yoko's gone straight through, new to dead.