Author Topic: flat spot low down (light throttle 1st & second gear)  (Read 1748 times)

Offline crowds

• Just got here
Hi, wonder if anyone  you can help. I'm getting trouble with flat spots on small throttle openings at low speed in first and second gear, well after a new maf sensor, new ecu, new turbo recalculating valve? and lambda sensors I though the Vdub dealers had fixed it. After the ecu was changed it was alright for about a week then the same problem (flat spot  on light throttle) started,  so I changed it to the DV to the forge type and it is OK, but then after a week same again so swap back to the VW DV then OK then after a week same again?

It seem's if I take of the hose off the DV its OK again, is it releasing pressure or allowing air in so it's OK for a time?

PS there seems to be a light film of oil on the hose's ?
 Its a 51 GTI turbo FBW
Golf GTI revo'd ........210bhp

kniterider

Re:flat spot low down (light throttle 1st & second gear)
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2003, 13:19 »
is the flatspot just around the time when the turbo cuts it? is the turbo working ok and engine ok on hard acceleration? could do with knowing these things to help try and suss it out, has the garage checked your turbo is all ok ( actuator hoses etc , and that the waste gate isnt stuck?) if not get em to check these out as its funny how it works for a week then comes back, i dont think its related to the dump/reciculation valve as all these do is expell excess air pressure in the pipes/intercooler etc so as to turbo spins up a bit quicker and does damage fins. i would probably take it to my nearest volkswagen tuners as these guys tend to know most problems, without changing half a dozen components before getting to the root of the problem!

see links page for list of tuners

Offline marty

• Not said much yet
Re:flat spot low down (light throttle 1st & second gear)
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2003, 23:42 »
i had the same problem on my 99 1.8t oettinger 195 chip .took it to the dealers they came back with it needed a coolant temp sensor .put one on same problem rang road and sport development spoke to danny( very clever guy)asked me if i had a thin coat of oil in the intake pipes i said yes he said to take the throtle body intake pipe of and look at the butterfly to see if it had any oil build up in the chamber and if so take it of (the throtle body) and clean with break cleaner . because when you start your car the throtle body resets its self it opens and closes twice then sets its self about two mill open but if you have any oil or grease it will give a false closure position hope this helps you it sorted mine out ps does your car idle unevenly some times just for a split second cheers marty