Author Topic: Help, Improving performance of a 1.6 sport  (Read 1571 times)

Offline S11HYL

• Just got here
Help, Improving performance of a 1.6 sport
« on: 09 October 2003, 16:33 »
I have a 1.6 sport which is depressingly slow, cant get insured on anything else so gona have to make do. Need tips in tuning it up, making it more responsive and livelier

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re:Help, Improving performance of a 1.6 sport
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2003, 16:52 »
Well, there are three ways to make your car faster.

1) Less weight
2) More power or
3) Handle/stop better

It all depends on how 'modification friendly' your insurance company is.

The only one that will have no impact is number 1 - there is nothing stopping you stripping out some sound proofing etc to lighten the car, and you won't need to tell your insurance company. The engine will have less to drag around, and hence it will be (probably almost imperceptably) quicker. But it will be nosier, which may add to the sensation of speed!! The further you go, the quicker it will get.

A replacement filter and exhaust is the common route to get half a dozen or so brake horse power (don't go expecting 5 seconds off your 0-60 time!) and most insurance companies won't pull your pants down too far for those mods (I think they realise its a pretty standard mod that most people wanna do, and doesn't increase the risk by too much).

The one that will probably cause the biggest increase in your premium (but will probably give the quickest real-world increase in average speed) is to improve the handling of the car and improve its ability to shed speed (ie brake harder, later).

Being able to carry 5-10 mph more through a bend, and braking 2 seconds later will make your car much quicker and much more fun.

Check with your insurance company to see what they will allow you to do!

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

kniterider

Re:Help, Improving performance of a 1.6 sport
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2003, 23:05 »
dont worry to much about the performance side of things!, i havent touched mine yet and its only 125bhp 1.8 20 non turbo, (not that much behind yours in bhp!), but the handling side ive put some lowering springs on 40mm from europarts and some 17"wheels with 225 tyres on and it now goes round corner gokart style! this is where you can make up much ground on a bouncey bouncey car!