Author Topic: Dash/Rattles/Noises  (Read 2342 times)

Offline number_six

• Not said much yet
Dash/Rattles/Noises
« on: 09 October 2003, 09:35 »
Hey All

Have had a MK4 1.8T GTI for a few months now.  I've noticed a really annoying rattling noise coming from somewhere within the dash.  I did replace the factory stereo a while ago, but made sure i fitted my new one securely.  I have a feeling though that it could be the cables knocking against the inside area of the dash.

Anybody else had any rattling noises and if so how did you stop it?

Cheers
Six

Offline Key

• Just got here
Re:Dash/Rattles/Noises
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2003, 12:11 »
yep, I have creaks and rattles from the dash etc, I tried finding them but gave up in the end. Now I just turn my radio up so loud that the ratttles etc just aren't able to be heard

old_boy

« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2003, 12:21 »
It must be Volkswagens attempt to recapture the feel and character of the original MK1! ;D

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2003, 14:34 »
I have the same sort of thing with my 2002 PD150 - not major rattles, but vibrations from the dash. Impacted when pullig from low revs.

I have replaced standard head unit also, think that is cause. I also think that the Alpine V12 amp and MTX bandpass sub in the boot have loosened the trim within the car, after being pounded for 18 months.

Haven't bothered to give the dealer a hard time, as I know exactly what they'll say - you shouldn't have installed that stereo, so I do the same as Key - turn up that stereo!

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

kniterider

« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2003, 23:08 »
got no rattles in mine, not yet!, yet ive had my gamma out to fit a bootchanger, if i get any rattles ill turn it up! and it will still be better than the rattles ive got in my mk2 gti!!!

Offline Revvy

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2003, 20:30 »
i had a rattle that i thought was coming from the dash, but eventually pinpointed it to a rattlting handbrake button.  Sounded like it was coming from the dash tho.  General squeaks and rattles from 6 months of kenwood sub  ;D
Y Reg 2.0 GTi Colour Concept

Offline Nimrod

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2003, 09:01 »
I had a little squeak from my dash, I discovered it was a small wood panel at the bottom of the centre console, just under my A/C unit.  It comes off fairly easily.