Author Topic: New Tyres  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: New Tyres
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2018, 12:10 »
Found the review I was looking for - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Auto-Express-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

"Auto Express magazine tested ten 225/45 R17 summer tyres, using a VW Golf at the Continental test facility in Uvalde, Texas."

Michelin PS4 - "Negative: Noisy, relatively high rolling resistance."

Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3 - "Positive: Well balanced tyre, excellent curved aquaplaning result. Low rolling resistance and quiet."

This explains why the audi driver I quoted previously, noticed the noise difference between these 2 tyres in particular.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2018, 14:11 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 23 September 2018, 14:35 »
Well I've moved rears to fronts and given them a good clean. Gtechniq W6 to try and shift some of the brake/iron deposits and a thorough clean. Phoned national tyres who are local to check how much they would charge to move fronts to rears and he said 26 quid as all four would need rebalanced again. Told him I didn't want them balanced do he said they wouldn't do it  :grin: I might invest in a trolley jack for the next time. Just been out and car drives perfectly.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 23 September 2018, 14:48 »
What a load of rot from the tyre dealer!

I can understand him *recommending* you have them balanced but in all honesty if they don’t make the car shake like a dog taking a dump prior to swapping axles then they’re not likely to afterwards.

A trolley jack is a good investment.
You don’t need to spend a fortune and they last forever with just very occasional use.
I have a second hand one I inherited that’s probably older than me (ancient!) and covered in rust. Still does the job and much quicker to use than the VW jack.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 23 September 2018, 15:03 »
I've swapped my wheels over twice a year when going from winters to summer tyres and back again, and always rotate front to back while doing so. Never needed a wheel balancing yet.

And yes, a trolley jack has been a worthwhile investment  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 23 September 2018, 15:32 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 23 September 2018, 15:28 »
Definitely do not need to rebalance tyres when rotating front to back!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2018, 15:39 »
I know people recommend the SGS engineering trolley jack but for occasional use is a cheaper one just as good? Looking for one with a case ideally, my ex wife kept my previous one and that one had a nice case with it. Can't remember where I bought that one from.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 23 September 2018, 15:44 »
I know people recommend the SGS engineering trolley jack but for occasional use is a cheaper one just as good? Looking for one with a case ideally, my ex wife kept my previous one and that one had a nice case with it. Can't remember where I bought that one from.

Has she changed the lock to the garage door?  :whistle:

:grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 23 September 2018, 15:44 »

I've got a SGS engineering one, 2.5T - had it for many years and works perfectly! Highly recommended!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 23 September 2018, 15:51 »

Has she changed the lock to the garage door?  :whistle:

:grin:
Haha, she gave it away. Would rather not engage in conversation with her.  :whistle: