Author Topic: Paint Problems MK 7.5  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Julio

• Just got here
Re: Paint Problems MK 7.5
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2018, 21:31 »
Yes they do look like milky blobs but they are all over the car. If the whole car has had a respray it’s the best one I’ve seen😳

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2018, 21:53 »

I only found out after 3 years of ownership that my "brand new" R had a smart repaired Pretoria from new when the wife grazed it and it went for a refurb with unusually tjick paint and a cross section of the scrape showing 2 full sets of paint coats (primer, colour, lacquer, primer, colour, lacquer).

yep, common occurrence im afraid, I'm the ChipsAway tech for weymouth area, and I've SMART repair many a brand new unregistered car when they've come in...customer never knows until they scuff it themselves..

ive had a customer call me a liar when I've pointed it out its been repaired before,

'it can't have been I've had it since new!'

sorry to be bearer of sh!te news here  :undecided:
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2018, 22:19 »
Could it not be a load of bird crap or tree sap from where the car was parked af the dealers for a while?

If they disnt clean it off straight away it will mark new soft paint very easily.

Also explains why the marks can only be seen outside in daylight.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2018, 22:56 »
I’ve read on other forums in the past of instances where these milky white blemishes have appeared under the clear coat on new cars. They do often disappear, but not always.

These blemishes are a characteristic of moisture trapped under the clear coat. This can happen if a car has been painted in less than ideal conditions before the clear coat is applied over the base coat, but it shouldn’t really happen when the car goes through the painting process in the factory as the environment is very carefully controlled. I’ve read that some car manufacturers also use a ‘flash heat’ process to remove any moisture from the base coat before the clear coat is applied (I don’t know if VW use this process) and before the body shell then goes through the ‘oven’ to bake/harden the paint.

In the OP’s situation, it might be worth speaking to a professional detailer as they’re likely to have seen this before, and they will be able to advise the OP on how likely it is that the blemishes will disappear permanently over time. The fact that they’ve reappeared after the dealer fix suggests they might not disappear. A detailer can also measure the paint thickness with a PTG (paint thickness gauge) and if this reveals paint that is thicker than expected, this would indicate some repainting work may have been carried out since the car left the factory.

If the issue is moisture under the clear coat, I wonder if the dealer fix was to put the OP’s car in the low bake oven in their body shop in the hope that it would dissipate any moisture permanently?

OP, please keep us updated of developments.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2018, 06:41 »
Can anyone remember the hail stone damage at Emden a couple of years ago? Was the original posters car caught up in all that where roofs and bonnets were repaired/resprayed etc??
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 11 September 2018, 11:34 »
Can anyone remember the hail stone damage at Emden a couple of years ago? Was the original posters car caught up in all that where roofs and bonnets were repaired/resprayed etc??

I think that happened in 2008 and again in 2013, it'd be unlikely that the OP's much newer car was caught up in the supply chain for that long.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 11 September 2018, 12:44 »
Ah yes purchased in June this year (sorry couldn't be a4sed to read everything last night)  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Julio

• Just got here
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2018, 22:33 »
Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts and comments. The milky blobs are still present but only until next week when I pick up the new car in Indium Grey. My mate who is a body shop foreman had a look at it and said that there’s moisture beneath the lacquer.  Apparently blue and black are the worst colours for showing this😩 if it’s bird crap then they have had a serious case of diarrhoea 🤮🤢

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2018, 23:17 »
Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts and comments. The milky blobs are still present but only until next week when I pick up the new car in Indium Grey. My mate who is a body shop foreman had a look at it and said that there’s moisture beneath the lacquer.  Apparently blue and black are the worst colours for showing this😩 if it’s bird crap then they have had a serious case of diarrhoea 🤮🤢

That’s a good outcome! Indium Grey is a good colour and suits the GTI really well.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl