Author Topic: HOW TO: Replace throttle cable on ABF  (Read 27318 times)

Offline kahunajb

• Here all the time
HOW TO: Replace throttle cable on ABF
« on: 29 September 2011, 20:29 »
Right its been take take take from me recently so thought it was about time I gave something back.

Apologies for not getting the technical names for everything 100% correct I am not a professional neither am I an expert and have done this through trial and error so you follow this guide at your own risk!

Firstly throw the Haynes manual away it says you need to remove half of your interior trim however the replacement of your throttle cable can be done entirely from inside the engine bay. (I found this out the hard way)

Firstly remove the metal retaining clip from the throttle body which holds the throttle cable in place:

Now unhook the cable from its mount and trace the remainder of the cable back to the bulk head (its the green bit in the picture which is actually my new one because I forgot to take a photo here):

Now lever the cup and seal away from the buk head using a flat head screwdriver be careful because you need to reuse these parts:

Now pull the cable and cup back to reveal the accelerator pedal lever behind (black bit in centre of photo). The ball (yellow bit in photo) on the end of the throttle cable socket fits into this. You need to hook something around the lever to pull it towards you (I used the short end of an allen key) then push the ball out of the socket using a flat head screwdriver which should now release the cable:

Next photo shows my new cable and old. You will notice that the ends are different which worried me at first however it fits ok and is the cable which GSF have listed for an ABF. GSF Part No. is 712VGO420 and VW part no. is I think 1H0 721 555P cost £9.78 from GSF:

Next photo shows a close up of the two ends the old one is the one on the right with the spring on the end. You need to remove the cup from the end of the old cable and refit it on the new. Mine gave me a bit of trouble and I ended up hacking it off. When fitting it on the new cable remove the black washer from the green bit and fit to the cup then insert the green bit as you won't be able to insert them both at the same time:

It should now look like this:

Now hook the new white ball on the end of the cable into the socket of the accelerator lever and connect the cup and seal back into the bulk head:

Now thread the other end of cable back around the throttle body lever (sorry not sure of correct term) and refit retaining clip:

Now you just need to adjust the tension of the cable (mine was quite slack). Remove the metal clip from the old cable which is attached to the ribbed part and refit to your new cable. Make sure that you have full travel on your accelerator pedal and that the throttle opens fully when the pedal is fully pressed:

And that's it. Simples.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 26 November 2011, 09:22 by kahunajb »
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance

Offline kahunajb

• Here all the time
Re: HOW TO: Replace throttle cable on ABF
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2011, 20:37 »
The photo below shows my old cable which looks pretty mangled. Revs had been slow to drop at idle for a while and noticed a couple of frayed wires when cleaning my engine bay which is why I replaced it. This has now solved the issue and the accelerator pedal feels much smoother.

« Last Edit: 03 October 2011, 17:55 by kahunajb »
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2013, 17:05 »
nice one i was just about to write a new thread about this but then decided to actually have a look in the maintenance section cheers looks pretty simple and i thought i had to take most the dash out lol

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2013, 11:05 »
Nice little write up! I was wondering about this as my throttle cable seems a bit sticky and I am already at its full adjustment and it feels pretty slack :)

Offline John50

• Not said much yet
  • Black Anni 16v
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2013, 17:24 »
Thanks kahunajb easy peasy!

But made no different to the hanging throttle when changing gear!

Better keep working my way through the system

Offline ttelracs

• Not said much yet
  • The Fettler
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2013, 20:21 »
Thanks kahunajb too.

I had to fiddle a bit separating the cup and seal away from the old cable, but it was worth taking my time and doing it carefully. I knew if I snapped or damaged it that would be that !  I know I haven't found an extra 40 bhp ! BUT, the throttle response is definitely crisper but it still ticks over a bit high at 1,100 rpm though.
Probably my fault as it ticked over high before I tried diy porting of my throttle body which I will finish off properly through making it the throttle flap seal better, but that's another thread.