Author Topic: Wheel Refurbing Questions!  (Read 26010 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Wheel Refurbing Questions!
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2010, 16:55 »
I think I mentioned to Dec about some other guides i had, here's one i found on my work Laptop..  This is good for repairs whilst still on the car rather than a full refurb but to be honest it applies to both and is a good write up with pics.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/realwhda.html

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2010, 19:01 »
 :shocked:

Doing it on the car? No way am I doing that!

When I get around to doing this, (probably sometime in the next month), I'll try to get pics and stuff as I go along. If I can manage it, then anyone can, as I am the biggest dumbass around when it comes to painting stuff!

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2010, 19:15 »
Post some pics of the very worst of the damage, and I'll run you through what to do..
Thom

Offline godsANGER

• I live here
  • The black Money PIT - TDi ARG MONSTER! lol
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2010, 19:15 »
:shocked:

Doing it on the car? No way am I doing that!

When I get around to doing this, (probably sometime in the next month), I'll try to get pics and stuff as I go along. If I can manage it, then anyone can, as I am the biggest dumbass around when it comes to painting stuff!

same here when i do myn going to have them off a week or so i think as going to take my time with them last thing i sprayed was my bonnet

Went ok saying i did it on the street but still need a fue nice coats when i can get in to my works area were we vinyl up vans so wont be any wind ill be happy lol
i am going to do myn in the garage so should be ok  :wink:

Repairs Since 12/09 = £1860.00  *  Follow me on INSTAGRAM = w_all_ace
! thePOORmansBUILD !

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2010, 19:19 »
Yeah when I do mine im going to chuck my standard wheels on as they still have enough tread on them. Hopefully I will be able to prep them in the evenings after work, then get the majority of the spraying done, if not all of it done over a weekend or two! Got my grans garage to use (long as I cover her car up :lipsrsealed:) So will give it a go!

Post some pics of the very worst of the damage, and I'll run you through what to do..
Thom

Ah awesome! Will do thanks mate, too dark now and I havent been able to find my camera for months, so will get some tomorrow :smiley:

Soooo, is it possible to spray bumpers and such in the same way? :tongue:

(Joke, I tried getting a grill to match on my golf and I just couldnt get it right!)

Offline godsANGER

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2010, 19:21 »

Soooo, is it possible to spray bumpers and such in the same way? :tongue:

(Joke, I tried getting a grill to match on my golf and I just couldnt get it right!)

lol i did same with a badge less grill that's why just did bonnet in satin black lol

! thePOORmansBUILD !

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2010, 19:23 »
Wheels are easy, so long as you understand the process and order, to do the different stages in..
Thom.

Offline godsANGER

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2010, 19:35 »
Wheels are easy, so long as you understand the process and order, to do the different stages in..
Thom.

how much paint do you think you would need ? Cans etc

! thePOORmansBUILD !

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2010, 20:37 »
Thom.

Does what I listed in the original post look about right? Or any advances on it for a better finish? :)

Few pics of the wheels here if you can see the curbing :cry: It wasn't me though! I can drive :tongue:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dechill/sets/72157625157750726/

Couple are just scuffs on the outer bit of the lip, couple have bits further in.

The paint overall is pretty pants, so will need to strip all the paint off I think. If I use paint stripper, will it damage either the alloy or the tyre? (Will be masking the tyres up, but just incase..)

Offline bmm

• Not said much yet
  • Be patient... I'm an idiot
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2010, 21:04 »
I just stuck a few pics and words about my wheel refurb in my ride thread over here that might be of use:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=168952.msg1572657#msg1572657

Pretty much all the stuff I used I got from Halfords.  I spent extra for the enamel primer and colour but not entirely sure if it's worth it.  I used way, way, way more paint than I thought I would, so maybe factor that in - buy more than you think you need!  But yeah, it was a mix of the wet+dry sandpapers, then the usual primer, colour, lacquer and that was all there really was to it - I didn't attempt any curbing repair though.

Patience is probably the number one thing, a rushed job will show through especially if you hurry through some steps especially prep!  But it's so rewarding when it's done and they're on the car, so I'd say go for it  :cool: