Author Topic: MK2 door speakers  (Read 5560 times)

Offline golf-manic

• GTI forum regular
MK2 door speakers
« on: 05 September 2008, 17:26 »
I am going to be buying a set off door speakers soon to replace the 'hidey-holes', but i would like a few suggestions from either experiance or what friends have said?
i have searched but can't find anything regarding this.
the sticky was useful aswell and have ordered the speaker covers so will be buying the speakers soon.

cheers

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
Re: MK2 door speakers
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2008, 13:11 »
If you want to see what the speakers sound and look like go into a audio shop then when you've looked at and hear'd the ones you want buy them online for less   :smiley:

Offline sdall30

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2008, 13:58 »
Vibe SEK-50 component speakers , bit more of a faff to fit than a standard set but they sound great , can get them off ebay for as little as £40 delivered , retail at £60 - £70 in the shops

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2008, 15:00 »
I had a MK 2, bought some door pods from a shop which replaced the whole door speaker enclosure and the tray you put bits and peices in, whatever it's called and put in DLS components, either 6 or 6.5" in the door, with a crossover inside the door and I fixed the tweaters somewhere up the dash. Can't really remember where, I think there were some speakers in the dash which I removed and made aluminum brackets for, if memory serves me correctly.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline lordbigsack

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2008, 12:39 »
i think it depends on the application.  If your a car audio nut then you will probably benefit from some high quality components (separate mid & tweeter) but to get the most from components you will need to amp them up otherwise they will be underpowered from head unit and in all likelihood sound pap!

If you are looking for a simple and effective upgrade from dash speakers then a decent set of coaxials would be a better fit.  Something with a power rating of 30wrms will more than handle the power chucked out by your headunit (4x50max = 4x20rms ish).    Door pocket speakers are 5.25inch

It would help to know what your kit and budget is

hope this helps
Things I need (Mar 08): 1990 Drivers door in calypso green for 3door - someone must have one!
Things I have found: (Mar 08)Power steering pump bracket, sun visor clip

Offline golf-manic

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2008, 21:38 »
i have bought some door speakers now and have bought some Inphase (the new ones)
they were 75 quid and i think im goin be running them off of the amp from my sub.
i have inphase 6x4's, door speakers, sub and amp in the dash jbl gto's
i will be amping them at some point soon so ill update people and let you know if they're any good

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2008, 23:22 »
I know you're really after door speakers, but when I had my Mk2, I did what I mentioned above, but I just remembered my DLS 7x10s on the rear shealth shelf, the magnets were sub sized and boy did they kick it out! ;)
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline golf-manic

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2008, 22:38 »
cheers guys
they're in and ive used a inphase 400 watt amp to power them.
theyre really good and they need setting up properly, ill go to car audio centre at weekend
yea so if anyone wants a good system set-up, Inphase stuff relly does it for me
its a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for