Author Topic: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement  (Read 19451 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement
« Reply #50 on: 11 February 2019, 21:25 »
I don't think I get a choice. Need police to do their stuff and release it to the insurers for assessment. Seems to have been a part of a bigger picture of criminal activity and not just a car theft so might take a bit longer. I have a friend in the car industry, I might see if he can get someone in VW to assess the car if possible.

If the car comes back repaired and is in good enough condition I can live with it as I was planning on keeping it for a while so hopefully I won't lose too much long term.

Still been a right pain in the backside. Too much admin
Tell your insurance company where you want the car repaired after the police are finished with it a forensic examination usually takes between 3-7 days to give one of them time to check for fingerprints and stuff  :smiley:

I don't think my local force would go through the forensics with the car unless someone had been  fatally hit by it. They do all they can to deny crimes and fudge the crime stats - or issue crime numbers when faced with irrefutable evidence of a break-in or theft.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2019, 06:27 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #51 on: 12 February 2019, 10:21 »
Don't know whether to say better to have it back - even getting it back results in a claim so you're still out of pocket with it.

As has been said, make sure it goes to YOUR choice of bodyshop - while some insurance body shops are really good, there are some that do the repair as cheap as possible and cut corners.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 12 February 2019, 14:15 »
Dealers currently have no legal recourse in claiming back a "deposit contribution" or incentive. It's like you going into a shop and buying a Mars bar that's been reduced from 80p to 50p... the shopkeeper chose to sell it at that price and give the money to YOU, therefore they have no recourse to claim it back once the transaction has been made.finance products.

Good analogy - but perhaps a closer one would be walking in to a shop that has a BOGOF on Mars bars, then coming back later, saying 'I have changed my mind' and asking for your money back - but only returning one Mars bar on the basis the other one was 'free'! Not sure you would get very far with that one....

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #53 on: 12 February 2019, 16:11 »
Well my car has been recovered. But has been used in other robberies and is damaged. Headlight smashed and bumper and wing scuffed and dented. Also key not recovered. Not sure how I feel about it and not sure how long it will be until I get it back. It needs forensics then released to insurance company and then repaired. On the positive side my wife's bag was still in it alongside a lot of other stolen gear apparently!!!

I believe there is no way of avoiding the "stolen recovered" flag from the insurance database which can be a big problem with resale.

I had no issue when i got a car back after it had been stolen and recovered. It required new keys / locks and these were on a surprisingly long lead time (5 weeks), but there was no body damage.

The car was marked as 'stolen' on the insurance database which the insurer forgot to correct when it was recovered. I only found this out at sale time, so had to call them, but they sorted it out straight away and it came up clear on an HPI check within a day or so.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 12 February 2019, 18:33 »
Dealers currently have no legal recourse in claiming back a "deposit contribution" or incentive. It's like you going into a shop and buying a Mars bar that's been reduced from 80p to 50p... the shopkeeper chose to sell it at that price and give the money to YOU, therefore they have no recourse to claim it back once the transaction has been made.finance products.

Good analogy - but perhaps a closer one would be walking in to a shop that has a BOGOF on Mars bars, then coming back later, saying 'I have changed my mind' and asking for your money back - but only returning one Mars bar on the basis the other one was 'free'! Not sure you would get very far with that one....
Not quite. BOGOF still equates to a total transaction price, not the fact one of them is free. If two mars bars were what you got for the total transaction cost, then you return two mars bars, not one. If you get one car for a total cost, then you return one car and get your cost back, or in this instance you pay the total transaction cost off.

Deposit contribution is a reduction in the total transaction cost, not a separate entity where you buy the car and get free cash.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 12 February 2019, 21:27 »

Not quite. BOGOF still equates to a total transaction price, not the fact one of them is free. If two mars bars were what you got for the total transaction cost, then you return two mars bars, not one. If you get one car for a total cost, then you return one car and get your cost back, or in this instance you pay the total transaction cost off.

I bet you're a laugh in the pub....  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 12 February 2019, 21:33 »

I bet you're a laugh in the pub....  :grin:
I don’t go to pubs and talk to real people or have friends. I am that sad I prefer to sit at home talking to strangers on the internet about the semantics of BOGOF offers and how they relate to a real world car-purchase...  :wink:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 17 February 2019, 10:04 »
Surely the operative word is 'free' - you buy one and get one free. So if you return the one that your bought surely you can keep the 'free' one!  :rolleyes:

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #58 on: 19 February 2019, 08:22 »
Car arrived at repair centre yest going to see it today. Going to push for new everything if possible

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #59 on: 19 February 2019, 08:52 »
Make sure it's perfect when you get it back - the idea of insurance (and the term solicitors like to use about it) is that it is there to ensure you are not "disadvantaged". If it's not perfect and your insurance are getting you to try and accept it, just use the term and they seem to cave immediately (or at least, they did with me).

Fingers crossed for you mate.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!