Author Topic: 1.4 TSi 160 Turbo failure  (Read 8592 times)

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
Re: 1.4 TSi 160 Turbo failure
« Reply #20 on: 08 March 2013, 20:05 »
that is not a good result  :angry: but,

Have you sat down and worked out the maths of what they are offering?  Are they saying they'll buy your (broken) car off you at full book value and trade it in against a new one? Sorry if I've misunderstood but just wondering if there is any silver lining to this black cloud?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #21 on: 08 March 2013, 20:34 »
Just speaking to my missus (she works for Trading Standards)

Apparently a new car should be defect free from new until over 6 years old. This is case law.

Contact your local Trading Standards mate and get them to throw the book at the dealers!!!

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2013, 21:07 »
6 years??? I wish.

The 160 bhp twin chargers are trouble waiting to happen.

We had a new engine on the EOS at 13K.......
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #23 on: 09 March 2013, 21:14 »
6 years??? I wish.

The 160 bhp twin chargers are trouble waiting to happen.

We had a new engine on the EOS at 13K.......

Yup.  A car must remain defect (as in major defects) free for up to 6 years  :nerd:  I'd class two turbo's and a new engine as possibly a major defect  :whistle: :grin:

To the OP - get Trading Standards involved mate as the 'offer' they have given you is nowt short of blackmail  :angry:

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #24 on: 09 March 2013, 21:37 »
Over 6 years or up to 6 years. Big difference.

Either way I'd like to see the small print.
6 Years could easily equal 180K mileage.
What is classed as a major defect?
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #25 on: 09 March 2013, 21:45 »
Over 6 years or up to 6 years. Big difference.

Either way I'd like to see the small print.
6 Years could easily equal 180K mileage.
What is classed as a major defect?

I don't know the ins and outs.  I simply mentioned the thread to my missus who stated that a car should be defect free for at least 6 years.  There is actual case law for this so I assume its somewhere on the internet  :undecided:

In the OP's case he's well within the 6 year limit and I certainly wouldn't be paying for a new engine!!

Offline Aidy06

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 13 March 2013, 09:30 »
Ok, but the bullet and paid the £570 for VW to 'investigate'. Doesn't need a new engine, just a new turbo. I'm not letting them do it though so going to source it myself and get somebody else to fit it, anybody know the part number for the turbo for the 1.4 TSi 160 or where I can find it? Will all the turbos be the same, say the one that's in mine same as the one in the GTI etc? Thanks

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 13 March 2013, 19:48 »
What did you get for £570? Half a new turbo?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Aidy06

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 13 March 2013, 20:02 »
What did you get for £570? Half a new turbo?

I got a thumbs up to the engine not being damaged which I assumed anyway, the £570 was for 5 hours labour to diagnose that it was fine. Last VW for me, dealership have been awful and considering I've bought 2 brand new cars from them within the past 6 years I find that appalling.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 18 March 2013, 15:09 »
Well at least it is some reasonable news about the engine but still feel you got a raw deal.  Surely VW should at least cover the cost of the new turbo. Got a 1.4 TSI 160 and not had any issues so far at 22K miles but will definitely consider either selling after 3 years or looking at extending the warranty given your experiences. Customer loyalty does not seem to count anymore.  We have had two new cars from VW in the last 3 years.

Had a front coil spring break on a Vauxhall Astra Coupe after 5 years and this was replaced at no cost to me by the dealer with Vauhall picking up the bill. Seem to reflect the trading standards comments earlier in the thread. That is what I would expect from VW in your case particularly as one turbo has been replace already.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.