Author Topic: 1.4 TSi 160 Turbo failure  (Read 8593 times)

Offline Aidy06

• GTI forum regular
1.4 TSi 160 Turbo failure
« on: 03 March 2013, 14:16 »
Hi, I bought my car brand new in April 2009 from my local VW dealer. That same year they had to replace the turbo as my car was smoking lots and loss of power, think it was around 6 months after I purchased it. My warranty ran out April last year, a few weeks ago I had the oil light come on so I checked my oil and it was a little low so I topped it up. A week later it came on again, checked oil and it was nearly empty so topped up again and checked underneath the car where I found some sort of tray that was full of oil. Took it to a garage of a relatives friend and they've had it for 2 days, got a phone call today to say that the turbo has gone which has caused the oil leak? Anyway I spoke to VW about it and they said my car should of had an ECU update ages ago but I hadn't been told about it, the guy at the garage now says that he would stake his house on it that this would be the reason to the turbo failing. He explained how to me but I can't remember much of it, something about the ECU not being tuned properly to the car. It's at VW now where they've charged me £75 to do a diagnostics, they'll get back to me on Monday with the results. Where would I stand in getting this repair carried out for free? The car is 4 years old and has done 40k, this will be the second turbo to be replaced since new - one within 6 months of ownership. Could this of been caused by the ECU not having the update applied? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: 1.4 TSi 160 Turbo failure
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2013, 15:40 »
The ECU update for those engines was supposed to overcome misfire issues under certain conditions, or so i'm lead to believe. I don't think it was turbo related, but for sure a poorly running engine can have effects on all the components bolted to it.
If you used VW for servicing throughout the warranty period you might get some good will gesture from them because really they should have performed the updates. Most independent garages won't be able to check for, or perform updates so if you've been elsewhere for servicing VW probably aren't going to be very generous.
We have the kit to do it at our place and it's part of my job to carry out software updates, sometimes its a very long and dull task!

Offline Aidy06

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2013, 15:49 »
The ECU update for those engines was supposed to overcome misfire issues under certain conditions, or so i'm lead to believe. I don't think it was turbo related, but for sure a poorly running engine can have effects on all the components bolted to it.
If you used VW for servicing throughout the warranty period you might get some good will gesture from them because really they should have performed the updates. Most independent garages won't be able to check for, or perform updates so if you've been elsewhere for servicing VW probably aren't going to be very generous.
We have the kit to do it at our place and it's part of my job to carry out software updates, sometimes its a very long and dull task!

I've had all services done by VW apart from my last one, we did that that an independent garage as my girlfriend works for O2 and a garage offered their staff a MOT and service for £80. So all services whilst in warranty where done at VW. Surely the turbo shouldn't be failing once on a 4 year old car with relatively low mileage let alone twice?

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2013, 16:26 »
I would guess they didn't use the correct oil for £80 did they? Which could kill the turbo. Fingers crossed they fix it all for free. Especially as it has a history of at least one turbo failing.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Aidy06

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2013, 16:32 »
I would guess they didn't use the correct oil for £80 did they? Which could kill the turbo. Fingers crossed they fix it all for free. Especially as it has a history of at least one turbo failing.

It was only £80 as they was offering a big discount to O2 employees, I asked the oil question before my partner took it and was told they'd use Edge 5W-30. That was last April, would it really take 11 months for damage to happen if let's say they didn't use the correct oil?

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2013, 15:06 »
If VW continue to admit that the ECU update wasn't completed and could be attributed to the turbo fail then they may well take it on the chin and replace under their customer service warranty.

Otherwise, my experience on Audi and VW is that when a part fails outside of the three year warranty, they offer a goodwill reduction on the part costs. So, say the turbo costs £400 they may offer it at £200 but I'm not sure if this is conditional to it being fitted at a VW garage and you then having to pay higher labour charges?

Offline Aidy06

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2013, 15:28 »
If VW continue to admit that the ECU update wasn't completed and could be attributed to the turbo fail then they may well take it on the chin and replace under their customer service warranty.

Otherwise, my experience on Audi and VW is that when a part fails outside of the three year warranty, they offer a goodwill reduction on the part costs. So, say the turbo costs £400 they may offer it at £200 but I'm not sure if this is conditional to it being fitted at a VW garage and you then having to pay higher labour charges?

They've told me that the turbo has failed which I told them on Saturday and a garage told me for free, they charged me £75 for that information. They now want £570 to investigate the fault further, it's a joke. There's stories all over the Internet of problems with this engine, 2 turbos failed within 4 years on a brand new car shouldn't be happening. The case has been escalated with a manager at VW CS, they told me they will check my loyalty to the brand before deciding what to do. This is my second brand new car within 6 years with VW and could well be my last, they'll get back to me in 48 hours. In the meantime we have no car to use and my retailer say they won't have any available for the next 2 weeks, absolutely ridiculous

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2013, 19:56 »
Considering the issues you knew about on this particular engine combination and turbo's had you not thought about extending the warranty?

Lee
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline Aidy06

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2013, 21:21 »
Considering the issues you knew about on this particular engine combination and turbo's had you not thought about extending the warranty?

Lee

Hi Lee, I wish I knew about these issues before I had them as I definitely would of extended my warranty. I only found out about the issues when I googled them after I had them happen to me, have you had anybody back in to your dealership with these issues at all?

Offline Aidy06

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2013, 19:37 »
VWCS are still looking at the case, they seem to think the car is going to need a new engine  :shocked:
After 40K miles and 4 years old the car should not need a new engine, this is going to be costly and it seems VWCS aren't going to repair it as goodwill. I think this will be my last VW, the whole situation has left a sour taste