Author Topic: 18" thicker tyres  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Poached

• I live here
Re: 18" thicker tyres
« Reply #10 on: 18 July 2012, 22:24 »
My old man is still going through his mid-life crisis and is getting a mk6 gti. But he lives in a rural area so wants to know if anyone has the 18" alloys with thicker tyres, to protect the ride and alloy scuffs? Will it work?

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Tyres actually create a slight lip that surrounds the edge of the 18 inch Monza wheel. As i discovered again today this lip was sat against the side of the kerb until I moved the car again when parking.

If the lip wasnt there Im sure there would have been scuffing.

I really think the GTI needs 18 inch wheels so would still put up with this risk otherwise.

Setup 225/40/18

I can post a pic if required.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2012, 22:26 »
or get yourself some of these  :grin:

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2012, 23:19 »
My old man is still going through his mid-life crisis and is getting a mk6 gti. But he lives in a rural area so wants to know if anyone has the 18" alloys with thicker tyres, to protect the ride and alloy scuffs? Will it work?

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Tyres actually create a slight lip that surrounds the edge of the 18 inch Monza wheel. As i discovered again today this lip was sat against the side of the kerb until I moved the car again when parking.

If the lip wasnt there Im sure there would have been scuffing.

I really think the GTI needs 18 inch wheels so would still put up with this risk otherwise.

Setup 225/40/18

I can post a pic if required.

Agreed!

I never get to close to a curb tho...as I get as close as I will allow but then if needed I will open my door to make sure I'm ok...you won't find me curbing the monza's, there far to expensive to allow a slip up!
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline player.777

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2012, 23:41 »
guys many thanks for the responses, I have forwarded them onto him, so lets see what he thinks. At least we've got the goodyears and alloy gators to be looking at. I think its got to be 18s on the mk6, the 17s dont do the car justice. But he might be after better ride rather than style, so we shall see. Thanks again and in the mean time, if anyone out there has got any other ideas, please send them on. Cheers.

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2012, 08:21 »
You could try a slightly wider tyre e.g 235/40/18 as used on other VW models. The tyre will be wider than the rim so could help protect the rim?
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline gti210ps

• Not said much yet
  • totally lovin' it
« Reply #15 on: 25 July 2012, 23:05 »
guys many thanks for the responses, I have forwarded them onto him, so lets see what he thinks. At least we've got the goodyears and alloy gators to be looking at. I think its got to be 18s on the mk6, the 17s dont do the car justice. But he might be after better ride rather than style, so we shall see. Thanks again and in the mean time, if anyone out there has got any other ideas, please send them on. Cheers.

No new ideas here, just a huge cheer for your old man'. The GTI is not a bad way to overcome mid-life crisis  :cool: thumps up
GTI MKVI, 5dr DSG, Candy White, Bi-Xenon, ACC, 18" Monza shadow, RCD510 w/Dynaudio, Sunroof, w/2 baby seats... and she's a beauty.