Poll

How many faults has your MK6 Golf had / got?

Dont ask

Author Topic: 10,000 of trouble free motoring - how are you guys getting on?  (Read 3434 times)

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Well I've hit 10,000 miles this week and haven't had a single problem with my Golf Mk6 - what experiences are you guys having?

Good, bad or UGLY?

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
Just the one issue really and it was my boot catch needed replacing ive done 12k now, very happy with it runs like a dream  :smug:

Replaced front tyres but the engine is sweet, it just gets better by the day really .

PS also had to replace a bulb.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2011, 22:54 by Steve30 »

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
My tyres don't have long left in them to be fair  :wink:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Apart from lots of rattles no problems.
1) rattle from speedo area.
2) rattle very odd noise from 3 of the 4 doors seems like panel not tight up to window edge so easy moves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x33efp_JwP4 (yes it sounds like that!!!)
3) rear seat catches rattle (fixed)
4) sun visors clip rattles. (fixed)
5) Sunroof rear wind deflector rattle (when roof tilted, seems to hit bodywork on bumps) + Sunroof blind rattle when pushed right back or when sunroof wound back.
6) waste gate rod rattle.
7) Door rubbers creak and squeek (regular fixed by lube)
8 ) Auto lights the past two days seem to have a mind of there own and be on in bright sunshine for total journey(no faults shown with VCDS)
9) Rear wiper dribble.
10) Boot hatch catch rattle (fixed)
11) Seat bolster ware.
Really like driving the car and coming back to it after driving one of my others for a couple of days but the rattles get on my ####  :cry:
« Last Edit: 03 June 2011, 23:36 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
I've had the following faults which have been rectified:
(1) Faulty rear bumper
(2) Disintegrating foam bung in offside front wing
(3) Mis-aligned bonnet
(4) Mis-aligned doors

No rattles, no squeaks, runs like a dream, is bloody fast and looks the business in Tornado Red.

I love Wolfgang.  :smiley:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
42k and here's the list:

1) Fog lamp covers refuse to stay in place in front wheel arches - fed up replacing them now.
2) Rattle from dash at precisely 2100 revs (which is 60mph in 6th gear so quite annoying) when warmed up.
3) The Mechatronics (think that's how it's spelled) needed to be replaced shortly after purchase under warranty - still jerky sometimes but I have put that down to characteristic of the DSG.
4) Read seat bench upholstery developed a hole so was replaced under warranty.
5) Bonnet release catch continually needs a careful eye. Sometimes I can't get the bonnet open.
6) Rattles from passenger door which has since been repaired and then returned and was repaired again.
7) Drivers side window rubber (the one just above the handle) continues to try and work itself free. Every second day I have to push it back down.
8) Sun visors rattle (same as Snoops).

Then there have been other issues with the car but they can be directly connected to work which I performed on the car so I do not attribute these as "faults". These include:

1) Requirement to upgrade DV to more recent version (mine was an early build)
2) Squeaks from tailgate struts after installing the auto-opening modification.
3) Brakes which are useless for fast driving   :evil:

That'll do for now  :grin:

EDIT: forgot to mention my recently developed squeak from the engine which only occurs at specific revs under specific throttle use. The closest diagnosis I can provide is a similar noise to a squeaky belt or perhaps clutch squeal. I don't know if it is due to the remap on the car but there is no detrimental effect on the running of the car or the performance - it's just quirky.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2011, 23:47 by PenguinGTI »

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Either Penguin or Snoops has not voted 'Don't ask'. Come on lads we need one of your votes!  :grin:
« Last Edit: 04 June 2011, 00:17 by am1w »

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
It was me for the "Don't ask"  :shocked:

To be honest, although the GTI has had these faults, I stand by it as a quality car.  :smiley:

I have been impressed by the GTI thus far in my ownership of it and will hopefully continue to enjoy my ownership of it for a good while yet.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
I thought it was you who voted.  :smiley:
I was only trying to prod Snoops a bit.  :grin:

I must admit it is a wonderful car and runs better and better every day.

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
I thought it was you who voted.  :smiley:
I was only trying to prod Snoops a bit.  :grin:

I must admit it is a wonderful car and runs better and better every day.

Ha Ha, thought so.  :grin:

It really is a great car. Having done 42k miles in less than 24 months I will admit that I ask a lot of the car - especially as this has included trips to the Drag strip and the odd track as well as very spirited driving.

I'm not in any way disappointed with the car.