Author Topic: 10 reasons why the Golf GTI is better than Golf R  (Read 23953 times)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: 10 reasons why the Golf GTI is better than Golf R
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2010, 21:41 »
Now thats what I want a GTDR twin turbo 210bhp Diesel. Mu hahaha.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2010, 21:45 »
Now thats what I want a GTDR twin turbo 210bhp Diesel. Mu hahaha.

Now your talking twin turbo diesel awd :tongue:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2010, 21:47 »
The last talk in production form it was running 221bhp and the torque was 332lb ft at 1750rpm

:evil:
« Last Edit: 13 May 2010, 21:50 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2010, 21:55 »
The Merc C Class Sport 350 CDI 7-Speed Auto we have is quite brilliant. Perfect finish and huge torque. Hate the 'foot operated hand brake' and the car is too big to park in my car park at work.
Yes, a twin turbo diesel DSG Golf would rock and rock, especially in London. :smiley:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2010, 22:19 »
The last talk in production form it was running 221bhp and the torque was 332lb ft at 1750rpm

:evil:

Snoopy, do you know if that's the same twin turbo TDI engine that is in the new Transporter van?
Golf R

Offline denyason

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2010, 23:38 »
I have been wrestling for months about which car to get, the GTI or R

why waste months dreaming about what to get.  get on the phone and order one, either one.  its all about budget but imo the gti is the best.  'think of the heritage',  its iconic.  u look at its design, u can see its development from the mark 1.  u can smell the smell of old.  u know what this 'baby' represents-  this isn't some fancy design from the latest car designer- if it was it would look like a civic- no heritage, no design heritage, one civic, one era doesn't look like one from another.  there isn't that development in its design.  a golf is unmistakeable- like in the adverts, 'like a golf'......   the gti is just as iconic as the 911.  just the mention of 'gti' to any car enthusiast brings them a smile :smiley:  the 'r' is no doubt good.  but the 'r' has no real heritage(minus the golf)- just something the vw men made up not long ago to compete with the neighbours....  its all up to u, but all this 'faffing about' is just wasting your time.  it just means u will wait longer for your car.  get it quick, drive it, live it, enjoy it and not be the one dreaming.......'WHAT IF...'(sarcastic honda ad urine-take) :smug:

as for the bloke saying get a s3.  dont bother!  new one out next year.

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 13 May 2010, 23:44 »
to be honest guys I look at it this way.

30 years ago there was the GTI...

then came the g60 and there was still the GTI...

then came the vr6 and there was still the GTI...

then came the r32 and there was still the GTI...

the r32 stuck around for a bit with the GTI. Then the r32 left and in came the R. But guess what....

There is still the GTI.

Offline DDRFan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2010, 03:25 »
Tailpipe you've put forward a very concinving argument.
personally i don't think you could say a car is 'better' than another one though - I echo a previous point made that they each stand in their own right for the type of use that these will be bought for.

i get the feeling i'm the slowest GTI driver on this entire forum, but i find the GTI plenty fast for what i use it for. in fact today i went on an airport run to pick up my dear old gran. she can get in easily in the back being 5 doors (although you can get the R in 5 doors too can't you?), and the ride didn't seem so harsh as to rattle her bones into a million pieces. i guess she was on a plane a little while before though, anything was probably better than the bumpy plane ride  :undecided: but would my gran have been able to live with a journey in a Golf R? maybe... but i wouldn't have liked to try it given the choice. and could *I* live with the ride of a Golf R every day? i don't think so. in terms of the daily 'livability' i would agree the GTI wins.

having said that, after reading about the many posts on the R on this forum, i've come to appreciate the views of others saying it is an awesome car. if money were no object i would definitely consider it. however most of us i'm sure aren't made of money, and the cost of the machine as well as subsequent running costs have to be considered. between the GTI and the R, in terms of value for money, surely the GTI wins by a large margin.

also for me i agree with the 'emotional' aspect of it - i must admit i'm sort of a newcomer into the whole VW and GTI thing; i was never really into the old GTIs (i guess i just wasn't paying attention to it then) but i love anything that recognises its roots and love anything retro, and the latest GTI has that for sure. it's quite lame really as really it's just the 2 red stripes and the tartan seats that i recognise (i know nothing about how the old cars used to drive or anything like that), but it's still unmistakeable GTI DNA and it just makes you think that you've bought into a dynasty.

to be honest guys I look at it this way.

30 years ago there was the GTI...

then came the g60 and there was still the GTI...

then came the vr6 and there was still the GTI...

then came the r32 and there was still the GTI...

the r32 stuck around for a bit with the GTI. Then the r32 left and in came the R. But guess what....

There is still the GTI.
i love that post :) well put

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2010, 08:30 »
I think a few people are missing the point. If the R was the same price as the GTI, then I know which one I would choose :evil:

I know alot of people dont really condone racing but I had this tw4t of a GTTDI (170) driver all over my a$$ this morning. In first and second there wasnt much in it. Had I had 4wd he would have been dust!

I then let him past, and waited for him to floor it... a big fat puff of black smoke later and i found myself easing off a number of times before he moved over. Letting loose it was almost as if he was going backwards. I know from having the R32 that not many cars can live with the AWD off the line. With a remapped Golf R it would make many other cars look a little stupid!

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2010, 10:15 »
as for the bloke saying get a s3.  dont bother!  new one out next year.

To clarify, I said (purely hypothetical and in MY opinion) I'd rather have the Audi badge and an S3 over a MKVI R, but NOT over a current GTI, or older R32...

If the R was the same price as the GTI, then I know which one I would choose :evil:

^^^ That's a whole other thread, matey  :laugh:

MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?