Author Topic: 1.4tsi 160 GT or 2.0 GTD Petrol vs Diesel  (Read 10395 times)

Offline countrytrucker

• GTI forum regular
Re: 1.4tsi 160 GT or 2.0 GTD Petrol vs Diesel
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2009, 16:39 »
you have the benefit of more torque

For about 400rpm, yes.

at least 5% better retained value after three years

That's ball0cks, because the appeal of the cars - not to mention list price!! - are very different. Moot point?

Diseasel has it's benefits, but I'm geting less and less convinced of this when small-capacity petrols are closing the economy gap so much right now.

I'm not a diesel-hater. My missus' car is a diesel and my last car was a remapped diesel.. Petrol is just better unless you're pounding motorways all the time and i refer you to my previous post :afro:

* volkswagen.co.uk

Yes, there are small capacity petrol engines out there that give great fuel economy but they will not be anywhere near as fast as a GTD.

I have a GTD on order and it will be a company car. I do plenty of miles so diesel is the only sensible option for me due to mileage and tax.
I love my GTD

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2009, 16:40 »
Or in the same context for the OP...

Year 0   Year 1   Year 2   Year 3   Year 4   
1.4 TSI 160 GT 5dr     £19,830   £12,266   £9,904   £8,174   £6,497   

Year 0   Year 1   Year 2   Year 3   Year 4   
2.0 TDI 140 GT 5dr   £20,460   £13,617   £11,370   £9,742   £7,935   

So the diesel more than claws its initial additional outlay within 12 months.

Horses for courses.

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2009, 17:12 »
I have a GTD on order and it will be a company car. I do plenty of miles

Thanks for proving my point about the mileage forcing your decision...  :lipsrsealed:

I mean more and more people think 'I'll get a diesel' without actually doing the sums. Just my 2p... :afro:

Brand new - and presuming OP has the extra funds available - I would still pick any petrol over any diesel up to about 12k miles a year.

« Last Edit: 26 October 2009, 17:15 by FamilyDub »
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline countrytrucker

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2009, 17:18 »
I have a GTD on order and it will be a company car. I do plenty of miles

Thanks for proving my point about the mileage forcing your decision...  :lipsrsealed:

I mean more and more people think 'I'll get a diesel' without actually doing the sums. Just my 2p... :afro:

Brand new - and presuming OP has the extra funds available - I would still pick any petrol over any diesel up to about 12k miles a year.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a GTI but I still picked a diesel even though I had the choice of either one.

It was the same for my brother. He had the choice of a 335d or 335i. The diesel such a better car. It can cover ground very quickly. To do the same in the petrol, you need to rev the nuts off it so I don't see the point in buying a petrol to have a bigger fuel bill and a slower car.

I will get around every bit as fast in the GTD as I would have in a GTI but with a smaller fuel bill and less tax to pay.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2009, 17:26 by countrytrucker »
I love my GTD

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2009, 17:33 »
Don't get me wrong, I would love a GTI but I still picked a diesel even though I had the choice of either one.

No problem, pal - I'd rather be wrong and give you all the 'points of thought', then you buy the wrong car :afro:

Enjoy it
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline Gazdebaz

• Here all the time
  • Lovin it.
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2009, 17:40 »
From Autotrader which I think sums it up quite well.

"The Golf GTD is a great car with sharp looks, a luxurious interior and slice of GTi performance with lower running costs – but a high list price.

If you drive long distances day in day out, it’s the best performance Golf you can get your hands on.

But, the GTi is faster, handles better, sounds better and rewards the driver more of the time.

Where the GTD simply feels quick, the GTi feels special. In this case, only tick the box marked ‘diesel’ if you really need to."

Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Winter Pack, Lux Pack, RCD510+dynaudio, Park Assist with Camera, Sunroof, Cruise, Mud Guards & FT indicator.