Author Topic: 1.4tsi 160 GT or 2.0 GTD Petrol vs Diesel  (Read 10400 times)

Offline supguk

• Just got here
1.4tsi 160 GT or 2.0 GTD Petrol vs Diesel
« on: 25 October 2009, 13:21 »
 :undecided:

Am interested in either getting a MKVI 1.4 TSI 160 GT or the new GTD. Both simular performance, but the GTD has way more torque but wondered if it might have a narrower power band? Have never owned a golf but have finally got the opportunity. Obviously I will test drive both but wondered if anyone has anyhing to say on the subject or Petrol vs Diesel?. Also any comments on DSG or Manual.

Offline Gazdebaz

• Here all the time
  • Lovin it.
Re: 1.4tsi 160 GT or 2.0 GTD Petrol vs Diesel
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2009, 13:28 »
Be aware there is a long wait for a 1.4Tsi engine. Some dealers will not take any more orders utill next year, so you are looking at March/April for a petrol version.
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Winter Pack, Lux Pack, RCD510+dynaudio, Park Assist with Camera, Sunroof, Cruise, Mud Guards & FT indicator.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2009, 14:31 »
TDI would be my choice I think but then again if you're going to re-map the TSI has a lot of hidden reserves.
I'd prefer the torque of the TDI personally still though. The CR TDI doesn't have a peaky power band like the earlier PD TDIs and is very petrol like in its delivery. My mate has a company car 2.0 TDI Jetta with the CR engine and it's incredibly economical. My Dad has a Jetta with the new 1.6 TDI engine which is even better on fuel but a bit slow.
The TDI is easier to stall when you're not used to driving them!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2009, 19:09 »
TDI for sure, how often are you going to be using the upper rev range?
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2009, 20:26 »
I work for VW in sales and the lead time on all golfs is going into march / april regardless of it being a 1.4tsi. I bought myself a mk6 gtd and it is in a different league to the gt 160 which in my opinion not the right car to get. If I wanted to save money I would of still gone for the gt tdi 140 over the petrol 1.4tsi. Standard mine was just as fast as a mk6 gti rolling start now had it revo'd and it awesome spinning in third so much torque! Get the gtd or if you want to save money get the 140, no one wants to buy the 1.4tsi's in the mk5!
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2009, 13:30 »

Supposedly, a driver has to cover around 15k miles a year to get back the fuel saving over the initial costs.

If you're not doing the 15k a year get a TSi :afro:

Or keep current wheels an extra year and get a GTi!  :evil:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2009, 13:58 »

Supposedly, a driver has to cover around 15k miles a year to get back the fuel saving over the initial costs.

If you're not doing the 15k a year get a TSi :afro:
Or keep current wheels an extra year and get a GTi!  :evil:

I take it that's assuming you give the cars away free at the end of your time with them? In the real world the Diesels are more desireable on the second hand market and thus have a significantly better resale value thus negating much of the initial purchase difference.  :wink:
If I was in the market for a three year old car I'd run a mile from a small engined car with both a super and turbo charger to potentially go wrong, not to mention all the extra gizmos that are called for to get both blowers to work in harmony such as the extra clutch.  :shocked:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2009, 14:26 »
at least 5% better retained value after three years - a GTD should see mid 40s mpg even with spirited driving whereas you'll be mid 30s in the 160TSi.  with petrol and diesel prices now the same (actually saw petrol more expensive at the weekend) it doesn't take that long to win the difference back, and you have the benefit of more torque and a less stressful drive.

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2009, 14:59 »
you have the benefit of more torque

For about 400rpm, yes.

at least 5% better retained value after three years

That's ball0cks, because the appeal of the cars - not to mention list price!! - are very different. Moot point?

Diseasel has it's benefits, but I'm geting less and less convinced of this when small-capacity petrols are closing the economy gap so much right now.

I'm not a diesel-hater. My missus' car is a diesel and my last car was a remapped diesel.. Petrol is just better unless you're pounding motorways all the time and i refer you to my previous post :afro:

* volkswagen.co.uk
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2009, 16:30 »

at least 5% better retained value after three years
Well i'm only quoting the expected retained values from motoring publications, but based on the MkV seem pretty accurate to me.  Its a percentage of new value, if the diesel IS 5% better retained and its dearer to start with then its actually done very well compared to a petrol equivalent.  Trouble is finding a used TDi with an equivalent mileage to a petrol car to compare directly.

As an example..
                 Year 0   Year 1   Year 2   Year 3   Year 4   
1.4 TSI 122 SE 5dr   £17,085   £11,096   £8,978   £7,377   £5,881   

Year 0   Year 1   Year 2   Year 3   Year 4   
1.6 TDI 105 SE 5dr   £17,905   £12,422   £10,367   £8,894   £7,242   

Diesel £800 more new, worth £1500 more after 3 years and £1400 more after 4 years

Add in £200/year saving on fuel for the diesel and you get your initial outlay back over 4 years, and have a more valuable car to trade in.

And if the TSi isn't currently liked in the used MkV market then it'll be a while before people turn on to smaller engines - i said exactly the same on another forum about the 1.2TSi; people who don't know what it is will just think its a 1.2 and too small an engine for the car and look elsewhere.  VW would have been much better calling them TS122 or TS160, anything bar using 1.4 in the model nomenclature.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2009, 16:35 by percymon »