Author Topic: My GTI Story  (Read 4335 times)

Offline danheath1312

• Just got here
My GTI Story
« on: 27 August 2016, 04:29 »
Hi Guys and Gals,

New to the forum and new to the GTI owners family. Here's the story of how I got my GTI.
So I used to own a 2011 Polo. Nice little car. Handled like a boat but the ride was nice, not too nippy but got around fine. Come July it was due for its first full service. Polo was booked in at the local VW garage. Whilst I was booking I asked how long it would be... I was told 2.5 hours if I wanted the wash and valet too!

Being a cheeky git I told them I was interested in the R. (I am interested but my bank account wasn't) I thought it would kill some time to have a little drive in the R. Arrived at the garage and sat down with the salesman. As soon as we started talking he clearly got wind of my cunning plan and basically told me there is no point driving it if I'm not going to buy it. Touche Mr Salesman...

He then quickly brought my attention to a beautiful silver GTI neatly tucked in the middle of the forecourt. He told me that it would be possible to get that within my budget.
5 minutes later I'm taking it for a test drive. I didn't want to let on, but I had already decided I wanted it!
2 hours later I had signed the paperwork, managed to wrangle 3 years breakdown, 3 years servicing and 1 year warranty.... Whilst also writing off the remaining finance on the Polo (£750) and sticking inside my modest monthly budget....
Also got away without paying for my service and the 2 front tyres I had asked them to replace.

2 days later I arrive home to a bemused and confused other half who enquired as to whom I had borrowed the car from. When I told her I had borrowed it on a permanent basis from VW, her questioning took a more angry tone.
Yeah so I failed to tell her I had bought a new car without telling/discussing it with her... But as I explained, in my defence "If I had told you, you wouldn't have let me buy it"... For some reason this upset her even more.
Anyway, so once things cooled down I managed to get back to enjoying my new vehicle.

AMAZING... It's not a Ferarri or a Porche, but its bloody fast, handles like its on rails, sounds like a fast car should and looks as classic as Pavarotti... And its ALL MINE!

To give you an idea of spec. 2012 GTI DSG in silver. Monza alloys (but not the diamond cut ones)
I'm not into modifying too much about the car, mainly because I think it looks amazing how it is... but secondly because I can't be doing with all the insurance stuff.

So far I have changed the following;
Seat Handle Inlays
GTI Fender Strips
LED footwell lighting (red obviously)
Gloss black rear VW emblem
Gloss black front VW emblem with red backing

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any advice on maintenance etc would be appreciated. Also, does anyone on here arrange meets. Would love to chat with some other GTI owners.

Much love,

Dan

Offline SunnyGTI

• GTI forum regular
Re: My GTI Story
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2016, 08:35 »
Welcome Dan!

Nice story haha liked the bit about how you have borrowed it on a permanent basis from VW! Sounds like you got a good deal with servicing etc thrown in!

Get some pics up when you can?

Whereabouts are you based? I was meant to organise an Essex meet for a few of the guys on here but didn't get round to doing it yet

Offline jord91

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2016, 11:28 »
the gti is a great car a cruiser on motorways are great when it gets twisty !   i would recommend a stage 1 re map it brings the car alive how it should be 

Offline danheath1312

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2016, 14:01 »
Cheers guys. I'm based in Preston. Ill get some decent pics on soon. What specs are you driving?

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2016, 15:03 »
Yeah, my mk6 is remapped with a pipercross induction kit and it transformed the car.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2016, 18:41 »
Has your other half driven it yet and forgiven you or are are you still in dog house?

Offline danheath1312

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2016, 23:39 »
She hasn't driven it yet. She says it's too powerful for her! But I have been forgiven and she quite likes it now as long as I clean and wax hers when I do mine

Offline jord91

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2016, 22:24 »
spec - manual ! stage 1 remap with revo stage 2 intake and cobra sport non res catback

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2016, 22:42 »
Nice, though you'll be washing it every few hours (black cars get mucky quick). My dad's first mk2 was black.

I see its clean in the photos though, looks the mutts nuts.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2016, 12:44 »
Nice story!

These cars are really bulletproof if serviced regularly (bar the pre 2010 ones with the timing chain)

Very good all rounders, bags of grip and low down torque.
Get used to it in the next few months and decide whether you want to map it to stage 1 as others have said as it really brings the best out of that engine