Author Topic: Well that's all folks...  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Well that's all folks...
« on: 26 August 2016, 21:26 »
It seems the end has come for the Golf... or has it

Long story short third party has caused paint damage to the OSF wing, bonnet and some nasty deep gouges out of the front bumper while the car was parked up and unattended. They consequently drove off without any details being exchanged but I have 3 witnesses and their details.

Now the insurance company has informed me due to the age of the car on paper it will probably be "beyond economical repair"

I've never been in this position before so what should I be arguing to either:

1. Have the car repaired
2. Have it written off (presumably Cat D) then buy it back and have it repaired myself

My initial thought is to take the cat D with payout as I'm not intending to sell the car any time soon then have it repaired myself but I'm not sure on the figure I should be aiming for; the balance after buy back to be enough to cover spraying and inconvenience maybe?

Oh and on top of this the police are being an absolute bunch of @rseholes, reported it to them and now they've passed it to some collisions assessment team in Winchester; why they can't just go and knock on his door and give him a bollocking I don't know...

Any help and advice greatly appreciated  :lipsrsealed:
« Last Edit: 14 September 2016, 21:48 by Wazzzer »

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
Re: Well that's all folks...
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2016, 18:34 »
Have you checked to see if the driver was insured and if so get your insurance to sort it quickly .
As for what to do I wouldn't have a clue .....

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2016, 22:05 »
Ah WTF Wes  :sad:

Gutted for you mate  :sad: :sad:

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2016, 22:42 »
There's too much time and effort gone into that car pal. Keep it one way or another and make it good again. I was in same position and thinking to call it quits by selling up. Reinforced why I like my car so much and decided on keeping it.

Build thread clicky

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2016, 00:34 »
They will write it off unfortunately but wait till you see how much they are offering and refuse the 1st couple of offers then once your happy offer them 100quid for the car

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2016, 15:15 »
Yeah I can appreciate why they write cars off these days, just a bit of a pisser when it's your own.

Absolutely agree too much of my blood, sweat and tears is in that car, even my missus said to keep hold of it! I don't use it much any more as I ride to work rain or shine but when I do use it I've got to admit it brings a smile to my face

I'm more frustrated at the lack of help from the plod, if I went outside and smashed someones window they'd be all over me within 5 minutes but with this I've had absolutely no communication from them

Anyways enough of my ramblings, I'll give the ins company a bell Tues and discuss the next move...

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

RC81

« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2016, 19:19 »
So sorry to hear of the terrible news mate. I can't believe the fuzz aren't giving the culprit a good ear bashing! It just shows what their priority is?? Was your car parked close to your house at the time? And with all the many thousand's of hours of hard graft you've put into your Golf, I'm not surprised your annoyed! I would be. I Just hope you can iron out the small print with the Insurance Company and keep your car?
Keep your head up..

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2016, 12:03 »
Yeah it was parked just down the road, close enough to hear the bang as the perpetrators sliding door FELL OFF the van and landed on my car though!

Underwriters are being phoned tomorrow

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2016, 17:50 »
Nightmare. Got to be worth keeping it whatever happens :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2016, 20:17 »
Gutted for you.  What ar5eholes.
Whatever you decide, hope you get sorted
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.