Author Topic: Do you notice a lot of windscreen chips?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
Do you notice a lot of windscreen chips?
« on: 28 August 2020, 09:14 »
The windscreen on my Mk6 is in pretty bad shape. It has scratches on it and loads of little white chips. Nothing deep, so the structural integrity of the glass is instact, but it doesn't look very nice. Looking at other cars of similar age or older, they have a few chips, but nowhere near as many as mine.

After driving the car for 6 months, and I don't drive very much, I've actually noticed several times something come up from the road and hit the windshield with a loud high-pitched crack. I reckon this has literally happened only once or twice ever in other cars before this. Is there something about the shape of the Mk6 that makes it particularly susceptible to stuff hitting the windscreen? Anyone else noticed this?
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: Do you notice a lot of windscreen chips?
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2020, 10:34 »
Seen loads of posts about it over the years i guess its the glass quality. MINIs suffer it real bad.The mk7 golfs from what I told suffer it worse. I just keep my distance.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2020, 13:51 »
yes i have noticed this and my bonnet is covered in bloody stone chips
Mk6 Gti - current daily
Mk3 16v Anni - retired daily now parked on 200,300 miles

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2021, 14:04 »
Had this happen again today. I was not at all driving up the arse of the car in front. Stone seemed to fall from the heavens on to my windscreen with an almighty crack. Fortunately not broken but I think it's one more chip. I've never had this before in any other car! So weird.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2021, 16:02 »
Seen loads of posts about it over the years i guess its the glass quality. MINIs suffer it real bad.The mk7 golfs from what I told suffer it worse. I just keep my distance.

Best way of avoiding stone chips is distance👍
I used to have a Discovery 3 and 4, absolute magnets for windscreen damage.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2021, 17:46 »

Best way of avoiding stone chips is distance👍
I used to have a Discovery 3 and 4, absolute magnets for windscreen damage.

Agree; leaving plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front helps to minimise the risk of windscreen damage - and stone chip damage to paintwork too. Late summer and winter seem to be the times of year when there’s an increased risk of windscreen damage through projectile debris (loose clippings in summer, road grit and rock salt in winter) being flicked up by the vehicle you’re following.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl